Zulfiqar Jabbar Khan
Zulfiqar "Xulfi" Jabbar Khan (born; 28 October 1980), commonly known as Xulfi, is a Pakistani singer-songwriter and music producer. Starting his career in 1994, Khan is the recipient of multiple awards in Pakistan. He is currently working on a television series Nescafé Basement, for which he is the producer and mentor. He has already produced four seasons of the Basement. The fifth season started on February 2019 and received an overwhelming response across the social media. The YouTube channel of Nescafé Basement became one of the top growing Pakistani YouTube channels and from just 500 subscribers, it completed 100K subscribers in just 9 days after the release of Fifth season's first episode. Today, the number of subscribers has crossed 350K mark.
Zulfiqar Jabbar Khan (Xulfi)
ذوالفقار جبار خان
|Residence||Lahore, Punjab, Pakistan|
|Alma mater||National University of Computer and Emerging Sciences|
|Occupation||Singer, Songwriter, Musician, Music Producer|
|Genres||Rock, pop, electronic, World music|
|Instruments||Vocals, guitar, percussion, keyboard|
|Labels||Nescafé Basement, Lips Music, BMN, Fire Records−Pakistan, HOM Records|
|Associated acts||Call (band), Entity Paradigm, Nescafe Basement|
Life and career
Khan was the composer, music producer, guitarist for Entity Paradigm (EP). Entity Paradigm was formed by Khan between 1996 and 1999 but was officially announced as a band only in 2000.
He is currently the music producer, songwriter, and lead guitarist for the band Call. After the vocalist's exit from the band, Xulfi continued with other projects at his studio Xth Harmonic. The band made a comeback after 3 years to produce and perform new songs for the fans. Khan has always been a music fanatic and tries to come up with new ideas. He blames the lack of proper recognition of music as a separate 'industry', as the reason for its limited success.
Khan has also been involved in a number of Bollywood projects as composer, lyricist and producer. Some of his works include Laaree Chooti from Ek Chalis Ki Last Local in 2007, Yeh Pal from Aasma in 2009, Dhadke Jiya from Aalo Chaat in 2009, and Kuch Aisa, Kuch Aisa (Sad Version) and Reh Jaane Do from Aao Wish Karein in 2009.
Khan has produced, recorded, engineered, mixed and mastered music albums for Call's Jilawatan and Dhoom, Entity Paradigm's album Irtiqa, Jal's album Aadat, Roxen's album Rozen-e-Deewar, Inteha's album Daastaan, and Ankur Tewari's album Jannat.
Singer John Newman expressed his appreciation for Khan's song "Love Me Again", which was covered on the show by an all-female band. Roxette also shared Nescafe Basement's cover of their song "She's Got the Look". Newman tweeted the Nescafe Basement cover version of the song "Love Me Again" and called it "dope".
Xulfi is the Creative Director and Co-founder of Sync, a tech/driven experience curation company. Recently they have worked on the visual curation of Nescafé Basement's Resistance, Coca-Cola Hum Aik Hain Anthem and Fawad Khan's Uth Jaag for PEPSI Battle of the Bands. Xulfi has also co-founded Giraffe Pakistan, a content creation company and creative hub with Muhammad Ibrahim and Sync is the subdivision of it. He acts as the Chief Creative Officer (CCO).
Brands & endorsements
Xulfi has worked with various popular brands including Nescafé Basement, Pepsi Battle of the Bands, McDonald's, Coke, Peshawar Zalmi and more. He produced "Hum Aik Hain" the official anthem by Coca-Cola Pakistan for 2019 Cricket World Cup. This anthem featured 40 musical instruments, most of which were indigenous instruments.
Xulfi also assembled 40 drummers to create a new national song Pakistan Zindabad, which was also featured in Gulf News. This song was created to revive the spirit of nationalism. 40 drummers gathered at Bradlaugh Hall for this song.
|Kahan Hai Tu||Iritqa||EP||2003|
|Sab Bhula Kai||Jilawatan||Call||2005|
|Bichar Kai Bhee||Jilawatan||Call||2006|
|Hum Se Hai Yeh Zamaana||Dhoom||Call||2007|
|Ho Jaane De||Dhoom||Call||2009|
|Main Aisa He Hoon||Dhoom||Call||2011|
|Teri Haar Hum||Dhoom||Call||2017|
Awards and nominations
|Indus Music Awards|
|2004||Best Alternative Song||Aghosh||Won|
|2005||Best Rock Song||Waqt||Won|
|Lux Style Awards|
|2008||Best Song||Laaree Chootee||Nominated|
|ARY Musik Awards|
|2006||Best Music Producer||Xulfi||Nominated|
|2006||Best Band Award||Call Band||Won|
|2009||Best Pop Song||Laaree Chootee||Nominated|
|Geo TV Network (AAG TV)|
|2007||Best Song||Laaree Chootee||Won|
|Jack Daniel Awards|
|2010||Producer of the Year||Zulfiqar Jabbar Khan||Won|
|Radio Mirchi Awards|
|2011||Best Debut Singer||Yeh Pal||Won|
|Nation Sunday Plus Awards|
|2011||Best Music Album||Nescafe Basement||Won|
|2013||Best Music Album||Nescafe Basement||Won|
|PAS Awards Pakistan|
|2013||Best Hot Beverage Campaign||Nescafe Basement||Won|
|2014||Best in Media Innovation||Nescafe Basement||Won|
|International Maxus Magnets Awards|
|2013||Best Branded Content||Nescafe Basement||Won|
|Express Tribune Awards|
|2011||Best Music Show||Nescafe Basement||Won|
- "Xulfi". BBC UK. BBC UK. Retrieved July 28, 2018.
- "Xulfi". IMDb. Retrieved 2019-08-27.
- "We are unique we are better, that's why our music sells in India". Retrieved 2012-01-28.
- Syed, Madeeha (2018-07-09). "Our next music video will be a collaboration between all the videographers of Pakistan: Xulfi". Images. Retrieved 2018-07-12.
- "Nescafe Basement kicks off - The Express Tribune". 2014-11-21. Retrieved 2016-08-13.
- Faisal, Sabeen (2015-10-23). "Nescafe Basement: Season 4 finalists have been selected". HIP. Retrieved 2019-08-29.
- Syed, Madeeha (2018-07-09). "Our next music video will be a collaboration between all the videographers of Pakistan: Xulfi". Images. Retrieved 2019-08-27.
- Naveed, Soha (2016-12-08). "Xulfi Is Making Everyone Cry With His Heartfelt Tribute To Junaid Jamshed". Parhlo. Retrieved 2019-08-27.
- Amer, Sameen (2015-08-31). "Call reunited: Our friendship is stronger than ever, says bandmate Xulfi". DAWN.COM. Retrieved 2018-07-12.
- Pakistan, S. K. (2017-01-03). "The Rock Scene Of Pakistan Finally Gets A 'Call' Back". Parhlo. Retrieved 2019-08-29.
- Tribune.com.pk (2012-11-06). "Xulfi announces Junaid Khan's exit from Call". The Express Tribune. Retrieved 2019-08-29.
- Makhani, Alina (2015-08-24). "Call Band Reunites to Make a Comeback After 3 Years". Brandsynario. Retrieved 2019-08-29.
- Uzair, Ahmad (2015-04-28). "Why can't the music industry be reinvented like the drama industry, asks Xulfi". Retrieved 2016-08-13.
- Instep (2016-10-23). "Xulfi unplugged". TNS - The News on Sunday. Retrieved 2019-08-29.
- "Xulfi on Apple Music". Apple Music. Retrieved 2019-08-29.
- Uzair, Ahmad (2015-04-28). "Why can't the music industry be reinvented like the drama industry, asks Xulfi". DAWN.COM. Retrieved 2018-07-12.
- "John Newman shares 'dope' Nescafé Basement cover of his song - The Express Tribune". 2016-03-01. Retrieved 2016-08-13.
- "Roxette shares Nescafe Basement cover of their song - The Express Tribune". 2015-05-25. Retrieved 2016-09-10.
- "John Newman shares 'dope' Nescafé Basement cover of his song - The Express Tribune". 2016-03-01. Retrieved 2016-09-10.
- Sabeeh, Maheen. "Fawad Khan on 'Uth Jaag' and the future". www.thenews.com.pk. Retrieved 2019-09-01.
- "Fawad Khan's Electrifying Performance at Pepsi Battle of The Bands Finale is Making Waves!". Entertainment Pakistan. 2019-08-24. Retrieved 2019-09-01.
- "Giraffe Pakistan". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 2019-09-01.
- Hasnain, Alefyah (2017-03-31). "10 Pakistani TVC Jingles We Bet You Can Never Get Out Of Your Head!". Brandsynario. Retrieved 2019-08-29.
- Team, Cutacut Editorial (2018-07-12). "Call joins hands with WWF-Pakistan for new song". cutacut. Retrieved 2019-08-29.
- Tribune.com.pk (2019-06-03). "Coke Studio just dropped a new song produced by Xulfi". The Express Tribune. Retrieved 2019-08-29.
- Tribune.com.pk (2018-02-22). "Peshawar Zalmi find their 'Call-ing' for PSL3". The Express Tribune. Retrieved 2019-08-29.
- "Peshawar Zalmi launches its new title song "Hum Zalmi" | Pakistan Today". www.pakistantoday.com.pk. Retrieved 2019-08-29.
- "Peshawar Zalmi launches famous song 'Hum Zalmi'". www.radio.gov.pk. Retrieved 2019-08-29.
- "Peshawar Zalmi | Call- Hum Zalmi". Retrieved 2019-08-29.
- "Xulfi drums up a call for Pakistan". gulfnews.com. Retrieved 2019-08-27.
- Amer, Sarmad (2018-04-09). "Call, The Band, Just United Musicians Across Pakistan In A Passionate Attempt To Revive The Country's Music Scene". MangoBaaz. Retrieved 2019-08-29.
- Shirazi, Maria. ""Music bridges it all."". www.thenews.com.pk. Retrieved 2019-08-29.
- "Pakistan Zindabad – An anthem featuring 40 drummers with Call The Band". Retrieved 2019-08-29.
- "Rung Do by Call celebrates the beauty of trees – Pak Media Blog". Retrieved 2019-08-29.
- Arshad, Aisha (2018-08-02). "Call The Band is out with Rung Do Pakistan and it's not just a song!". HIP. Retrieved 2019-08-29.
- Syed, Madeeha (2018-07-08). "THE ICON INTERVIEW: THE ORCHESTRATOR". DAWN.COM. Retrieved 2019-08-29.
- Mughal, Danish (2017-09-16). "Entity Paradigm(eP) and Xulfi Reunited once again!!!". Retrieved 2019-08-29.
- Ahmed, Ather (2017-09-15). "Rumor Has It, Fawad Khan Is Reuniting With eP And Just OMG". MangoBaaz. Retrieved 2019-08-29.
- "Entity Paradigm Reunites For One Epic Night". 2017-09-17. Retrieved 2019-08-29.
- Team, Trending (2017-09-15). "Is eP set to perform at the final of Pepsi Battle of the Bands?". Trending Pakistan. Retrieved 2019-08-29.
- Tribune.com.pk (2017-09-18). "EP reunion: The boys still got it". The Express Tribune. Retrieved 2019-08-29.
- "EP Performed in Pepsi Battle of the Bands' Grand Finale and We Can't Get Over It!". Bolojawan.com. 2017-09-18. Retrieved 2019-08-29.