Zaza (1915 film)
Zaza was a 1915 American silent romantic drama film produced by Famous Players Film Company in association with the Charles Frohman Company, and distributed by Paramount Pictures. The film was directed by Edwin S. Porter and Hugh Ford and stars Pauline Frederick in the title role. The film is based on the 1899 French stage play of the same name that starred Mrs. Leslie Carter, and the American adaptation by David Belasco.
Contemporary newspaper advertisement.
|Directed by||Edwin S. Porter|
|Produced by||Adolph Zukor|
|Written by||David Belasco (play)|
by Pierre Berton and Charles Simon
|Distributed by||Paramount Pictures|
Zaza's original release date was scheduled for October 4, 1915. However, a nitrate fire at the Famous Players studio on September 11, 1915 caused the film's release to be delayed until November 11. The film is now considered lost.
- Pauline Frederick - Zaza
- Julian L'Estrange - Bernard Dufrene
- Ruth Sinclair - Madame Dufrene
- Maude Granger - Aunt Rosa
- Blanche Fisher - Louise
- Helen Sinnott - Nathalie
- Mark Smith - Cascart
- Charles Butler - Duc de Brissac
- Walter Craven - Dubois
- Madge Evans - Child (uncredited)
The play was adapted for the screen again in 1923 starring Gloria Swanson, and in 1939, starring Claudette Colbert.
- Lombardi, Frederic (2013). Allan Dwan and the Rise and Decline of the Hollywood Studios. McFarland. pp. 128, 130. ISBN 0-786-43485-6.
- "Zaza". silentera.com. Retrieved May 8, 2013.
- Tarbox, Charles H. (1983). Lost films, 1895-1917. Film Classic Exchange. p. 245.
- The Pauline Frederick webpage: Zaza
- The Library of Congress/FIAF American Silent Feature Film Survival Catalog:..Zaza
- Carr, Larry (1970). Four Fabulous Faces: Swanson, Garbo, Crawford, Dietrich. Penguin Books. p. 40.
- Zaza on IMDb
- Zaza at SilentEra
- Zaza at AllMovie