Mokgoro was appointed to the bench in 1994 by Nelson Mandela. Mokgoro is a board member of the Centre for Human Rights at the University of Pretoria and is the current Chairperson of the South African Law Reform Commission.
She was educated at North-West University from which she graduated with a B.luris degree in 1982, an LLB degree two years later, and an LLM in 1987. She also studied at the University of Pennsylvania Law School in the USA, where she was awarded another LLM degree.
- Open Society Justice Initiative, Member of the Board
Among the numerous awards she was given are the Human Rights Award by the Black Lawyers Association, (1995) the Oude Molen Reserve Order of Merit (1995/1996), the Legal Profession’s Woman Achiever Award by the Centre for Human Rights, the University of Pretoria (2001), University of the North School of Law Excellence Award (2003), the Kate Stoneman Democracy Award (2003), the Tshwane Outstanding Service Award (TOSA) in 2006 and the James Wilson Award by the University of Pennsylvania Law School (2008).
- "Justice Yvonne Mokgoro". Constitutional Court of South Africa. Retrieved 2008-11-09.
- http://www.chr.up.ac.za/index.php/board.html Centre for Human Rights Board Members Retrieved June 25, 2011
- "Members of the South African Law Reform Commission". salawreform.justice.gov.za. Retrieved 16 November 2012.
- Board of the Open Society Justice Initiative Open Society Foundations.