You Know What Sailors Are (1954 film)
|You Know What Sailors Are|
|Directed by||Ken Annakin|
|Produced by||Peter Rogers|
|Written by||Roger Hyams (novel), Peter Rogers (writer)|
|Music by||Malcolm Arnold|
|Cinematography||Reginald H. Wyer|
|Edited by||Alfred Roome|
Group Film Productions Limited
|Distributed by||General Film Distributors (UK)|
Three British naval officers out on a drunken spree attach a pram and a pawnbroker's sign to the stern of a foreign naval ship. The next morning, an officer misinterprets the pram and sign as state of the art, top-secret radar equipment. Instantly, the British navy decrees that their ships be fitted with the same device. Thereafter, bureaucratic misunderstandings escalate into a major international incident.
- Akim Tamiroff as President of Agraria
- Donald Sinden as Lt. Sylvester Green
- Sarah Lawson as Betty
- Naunton Wayne as Captain Owbridge
- Bill Kerr as Lt. Smart
- Dora Bryan as Gladys
- Martin Miller as Prof. Hyman Pfumbaum
- Michael Shepley as Admiral
- Michael Hordern as Captain Hamilton
- Ferdy Mayne as Stanislaus Voritz of Smorznigov
- Bryan Coleman as Lt. Comdr. Voles
- Cyril Chamberlain as Stores Officer
- Hal Osmond as Stores Petty Officer
- Peter Arne as Ahmed
- Shirley Lorimer as Jasmin
TV Guide wrote, "beautiful women fill the screen at frequent intervals in this amiable comedy"; and AllMovie wrote, "You Know What Sailors Are top-bills Akim Tamiroff as the president of a mythical Foreign country, but the film belongs to Donald Sinden as the well-meaning young officer who precipitates the whole affair."
- "You Know What Sailors Are! (1953)". BFI.
- "You Know What Sailors Are". TVGuide.com.
- Hal Erickson. "You Know What Sailors Are (1954) - Ken Annakin - Synopsis, Characteristics, Moods, Themes and Related - AllMovie". AllMovie.