You, Whom I Have Always Hated
You, Whom I Have Always Hated is a collaborative album by American sludge metal bands The Body and Thou. Released on January 27, 2015 through Thrill Jockey record label, the album was included on the reissue of bands' first collaborative effort, Released from Love EP (2014).
|You, Whom I Have Always Hated|
|Studio album by|
|Released||January 27, 2015|
|The Body chronology|
Upon its release, You, Whom I Have Always Hated received positive reviews from music critics. At Metacritic, which assigns a normalized rating out of 100 to reviews from critics, the album received an average score of 78, which indicates "generally favorable reviews", based on 10 reviews. AllMusic critic Fred Thomas wrote: "The crushing intensity on this collection is commonplace for both bands, but comes together with more swampy layers than either can muster on their own." Pitchfork stated: "Though it shows signs of both responsible parties, it also proves their inherent restlessness, as they’re both willing to bend toward one another to create something richer than they might have rendered themselves." PopMatters contributor Austin Price described the record as "a monolithic album, so massive and so black and often so much of a piece that to try to take it in at a glance or to distinguish certain elements seems either imposing or impossible." The Quietus' Dean Brown thought that the release "highlights the bleak force that these bands can channel and how impactful it is when united as one." Kelly Kim of Spin praised the album, stating: "Every note sounds instinctual, every moment fluid; this is what happens when good friends come together to watch the world burn."
- "Her Strongholds Unvanquishable" – 7:22
- "The Devils of Trust Steal The Souls of the Free" – 2:08
- "Terrible Lie" (Nine Inch Nails cover) – 4:11
- "Beyond the Realms Of Dream, That Fleeting Shade Under The Corpus of Vanity" – 5:11
- "He Returns to the Place of His Iniquity" – 2:15
- "Lurking Fear" – 6:35
- The Body
- Chip King – guitars, vocals
- Lee Buford – drums, programming
- Bryan Funck – vocals
- Andy Gibbs – guitar
- Matthew Thudium – guitar
- Mitch Wells – bass guitar
- Josh Nee – drums
- Other personnel
- Keith Souza – recording, additional percussion
- Seth Manchester – recording, additional percussion
- Chrissy Wolpert – additional vocals
- Reba Mitchell – additional vocals
- "You, Whom I Have Always Hated/Released from Love by Thou and The Body". Metacritic. Retrieved January 19, 2016.
- Thomas, Fred. "The Body / Thou You - Whom I Have Always Hated/Released from Love". AllMusic. Retrieved January 19, 2016.
- Currin, Grayson (January 27, 2015). "The Body / Thou - You, Whom I Have Always Hated". Pitchfork. Retrieved January 19, 2016.
- Price, Austin (February 12, 2015). "The Body and Thou - You, Whom I Have Always Hated". PopMatters. Retrieved January 19, 2016.
- Kelly, Kim (February 11, 2015). "Spin Metal Report: The Body and Thou Team Up Viciously, Black Cilice Ooze to the Forefront". Spin. Retrieved January 19, 2016.
- Brown, Dean (January 12, 2015). "The Body & Thou - You, Whom I Have Always Hated". The Quietus. Retrieved January 19, 2016.