Yew Chung International School of Shanghai
Yew Chung International School of Shanghai (YCIS Shanghai; Simplified Chinese上海耀中国际学校, Traditional Chinese 上海耀中國際學校, pinyin Shànghǎi Yàozhōng Guójì Xuéxiào) is a fully triple accredited, co-educational international school in Shanghai, with campuses in both the Puxi and Pudong districts of the city. In 1993, YCIS Shanghai became the first international school officially recognised by, and registered, with the Chinese government in Shanghai.
|Yew Chung International School of Shanghai|
|Type||Preschool, Kindergarten, Primary School, Secondary School|
|Motto||"Yew Chung will Align with Science and Technology, Culture and Art, Love and Charity."|
|Director||Dr. Betty Chan Po-King|
Origins and History
Yew Chung International School of Shanghai is accredited by the Ministry of Education of the People's Republic of China to enrol the children of foreign passport holders. The school provides an international education in a bilingual environment (English and Mandarin) to children ages 2 to 18-years-old (K2 to Year 13). The international school is part of a network of schools under the Yew Chung Foundation, which includes campuses in Hong Kong, Beijing, Qingdao, Chongqing, and Silicon Valley, United States.
- YCIS Shanghai was the first international school officially recognised by, and registered with, the Chinese government in 1993.
- YCIS Shanghai offers a curriculum based on the National Curriculum for England (NCE) and provides education in a bilingual environment (English and Mandarin).
- YCIS Shanghai has five campuses (three in Puxi and two in Pudong).
- Students learn to read, write, and speak Mandarin Chinese through curricula tailored for both non-native and native speakers.
- After Years 10-11, Secondary school students are able to sit the IGCSE examinations. Students in Years 12-13 study courses within the framework of the IB Diploma Programme leading to the IB Diploma examinations.
- YCIS Shanghai is an accredited school, recognised by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC), the Council of International Schools (CIS), and the National Center for School Curriculum and Textbook Development (NCCT).
- Students in Years 1-3 participate in the school’s violin programme, with weekly violin lessons and various performance opportunities.
- Two qualified Teachers, one International and one Chinese, teach together as ‘Co-Teachers’ in the Kindergarten and Primary classrooms.
- 1932: First Yew Chung school established in Hong Kong.
- 1992: The Mayor of Shanghai, Mr. Huang Ju (黄菊), invites YCIS to open an international school in Shanghai to serve the growing number of expatriate families moving to the city.
- 1993: YCIS Shanghai (Hongqiao Campus) opens as the first international school in Shanghai to be officially recognised by and registered with, the Chinese government.
- 1995: The YCIS Shanghai Gubei Campus opens.
- 1999: A third campus is opened in Pudong, now known as the Regency Park Campus.
- 2007: The Century Park Campus opens in Pudong.
- 2012: Yew Chung International Schools become the first and only group of international schools in China to receive the “Cambridge Award for Excellence in Education”.
- 2018: The Ronghua Campus opens in Gubei and is the first K12 school in China to receive the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design Gold Certification from the United States Green Business Council.
Students learn to read, write, and speak Mandarin Chinese through research-based curricula tailored for both non-native and native speakers. The Chinese Language and Culture Programme runs from Kindergarten through Secondary, with multiple levels for each age range.
Within each Kindergarten and Primary School classroom; two qualified Teachers, one Western and one Chinese, share the responsibilities relating to the care and education of the students in their class. They provide learning experiences in a bi-cultural and bilingual learning environment.
The curriculum for students in Years 10-11 culminate in the International General Certificate for Secondary Education (IGCSE) examinations. Designed to prepare students for the IB Diploma Programme in Years 12-13, these two years of study integrate core subjects with a variety of electives, community service work, and extracurricular activities.
IB Diploma Programme
YCIS Shanghai’s Character Education programme provides students with practical knowledge and skills to help them face the ethical, moral, spiritual, social, and cultural issues of adulthood by reflecting on their experiences in real world situations.
YCIS International School charity
In 2008 as a result of the Sichuan earthquake, Yew Chung International Schools started a charity called Seeds of Hope. Through a partnership with the China Youth Development Foundation, 'Hope Schools' are established in various parts of rural China. The funds for the charity are generated through charity driven projects and matched by local government organisations to build Seeds of Hope Schools.
Accreditations and Authorisations
- New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC)
- Council of International Schools (CIS)
- National Center for School Curriculum and Textbook Development (NCCT)
- Cambridge International Certificate of Secondary Education (IGCSE)
- International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme (IBDP)
- The Duke of Edinburgh's International Award
- Air filtration units in all classrooms
- Large sports fields
- Basketball courts
- Outdoor play structure
- Running tracks
- Double court gymnasiums
- Suites with Apple Mac computers
- Integrated interactive whiteboard technology
- Soundproof recording studios
- Libraries • Theatres/auditoriums
- Black box theatre
- Biology, Physics, and Chemistry laboratories
- Purpose-built art studios
- Design and technology workshops featuring advanced technology and machinery
- Violin rooms
- Specialist music rooms
- Music composition rooms
- Parent lounges
- IB Student lounges
- Brand new swimming pool facility
Network of Schools
- "YCIS | International School of Shanghai | About Us". www.ycis-sh.com. Retrieved 2016-08-04.
- "China Education Development". www.chinaedudev.com. Retrieved 2016-08-04.
- "Name list of schools with the accreditation by the Ministry of Education For enrolling children of foreign nationals_MOE.GOV.CN". www.moe.edu.cn. Retrieved 2016-08-04.
- "YCIS Network - Yew Chung Education Foundation". www.ycef.com. Retrieved 2016-08-04.
- "YCIS | International School of Shanghai | Chinese Language". www.ycis-sh.com. Retrieved 2016-08-04.
- "Search for International Schools". New England Association of Schools and Colleges. Retrieved 2016-08-04.
- "Council of International Schools (CIS): Membership Directory". www.cois.org. Retrieved 2016-08-04.
- "YCIS music man: Lighting up children's love of music". www.shanghaidaily.com. Retrieved 2016-08-04.
- Bunnell, Tristian (2015). "The 'Yew Chung model' of international education:The scope for investigation and research" (PDF). Journal of Research in International Education. 14 (3): 258–270. doi:10.1177/1475240915615785.
- Yuan, Jianwei (2010). Network building, business expansion and cultural innovation-rise of Chinese cross-boundary entrepreneurs during Hong Kong's transition (Ph.D.). The University of Hong Kong. p.167
- "Yew Chung International Schools receive prestigous education award". www.globaltimes.cn. Global Times. Retrieved 2016-08-04.
- "School in Shanghai achieves LEED Gold with green features | GBCI". www.gbci.org. Retrieved 2018-07-17.
- "YCIS offers best of both worlds". www.shanghaidaily.com. Retrieved 2016-08-04.
- "YCIS Shanghai has top language program". www.shanghaidaily.com. Retrieved 2016-08-04.
- ""East vs West" Education_Education". Urban Family. Retrieved 2016-08-04.
- "About the IB". International Baccalaureate Organization. Retrieved 2016-08-04.
- "YCIS | International School of Shanghai | Character Education". www.ycis-sh.com. Retrieved 2016-08-04.
- "YCIS Receives "Cambridge Award For Excellence In Education" | LittleStar Magazine Online". www.internationalschool.info. Retrieved 2016-08-04.