Yeh Un Dinon Ki Baat Hai
Yeh Un Dinon Ki Baat Hai (It’s A Story About Those Days) is an Indian Hindi language coming of age romantic period drama television series produced by Shashi Sumeet Productions which was aired on Sony TV It stars Ashi Singh and Randeep Rai as Naina Agarwal and Sameer Maheshwari. Set in the 1990s and based on youngsters' love story, it is inspired by the real-life love story of producers Shashi and Sumeet Mittal.
|Yeh Un Dinon Ki Baat Hai|
|Genre||Coming of age|
|Written by||Shashi Sumeet Mittal|
Vaishali Naik Nageen Mirza
|Directed by||Jaladh K Sharma, Yogesh Bijendra Bhatti, Jasbir Bhatti, Pushkar Pandit|
|Creative director(s)||Indrajeet Mukherjee|
|Voices of||Kumar Sanu|
|Theme music composer||Anu Malik|
|Opening theme||"Yeh Un Dinon Ki Baat Hai"|
|Country of origin||India|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||497|
|Producer(s)||Shashi Sumeet Mittal|
Sumeet Hukamchand Mittal
|Production location(s)||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
|Editor(s)||Jay B Ghadiali, Saurabh Raj Khanna|
|Running time||21-23 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Shashi Sumeet Productions|
|Distributor||Sony Pictures Network|
|Original network||Sony Entertainment Television|
|Original release||5 September 2017 –|
16 August 2019
In July 2019, it was announced that the show would go off air and the last episode was aired on August 16, 2019. However, Sony TV announced that the show will return with a second season at an indefinite date.
The story is narrated by the adult versions of the main characters, Naina and Sameer. The story starts in 1990, in Ahmedabad, India. Naina Agarwal, a 16-year-old student of Pragati Vidya Ka Mandir, lives with her Chacha-Chachi Anand and Bela, their daughters and her cousins Pooja and Preeti, and her father Rakesh, elder brother Arjun, Taiji-taiji Beena and Naresh and their son Pralay.
Sameer Maheshwari, a 17-year-old, is living in a hostel in Nainital. He is a happy-go-lucky, good looking boy and shifts to Naina's school. She instantly falls for him and constantly tries to gain his attention. But Naina ends up in situations where she has to stand against Sameer. In one such situation, it is found that someone stole the exam papers for the Head Boy contest. Arjun and Sameer are therefore thoroughly checked as they are the only two in the contest. Here, Naina proves Sameer guilty due to a misunderstanding, where in fact he is innocent and it is Naina's brother who has actually stolen the papers due to pressure from his father. Sameer is therefore slapped by Naina's father and Naina's father questions Sameer's upbringing. Sameer thus develops hatred for Naina and decides to take revenge by engaging in a bet, wherein he has to make Naina say "I love you" to him and make her hug him so that he can question Naina's upbringing. Sameer tries his best to win the bet while Munna is in love with Swati, Naina's best friend.
After a few months, Naina's school goes for a trip to Mount Abu, where Sameer pretends to be in love with her. Naina, thinking his intentions to be true, confesses her love. At that moment, she learns of the bet and becomes heartbroken and depressed, hating Sameer.
Sameer, now realises that he too has fallen for her. So to gain her back, Sameer tries different ways of apologizing. Meanwhile, Naina's brother learns about the bet and starts to beat Sameer for playing with Naina's feelings. But during the fight, Arjun injures himself. Naina's father holds Sameer responsible for this and asks him to serve Arjun. During this punishment, Sameer helps Naina's family and eventually wins Naina's heart. Naina is stubborn at first, but later forgives Sameer and starts their relationship afresh.
Sameer shares about his relation to his grandpa, who likes Naina very much. He asks to give his wife's sari to Naina to be worn on the farewell day. But unfortunately, Sameer's grandpa passes away. He becomes depressed. So, he is taken to Delhi to overcome depression. Sameer faces a lot of problems in Delhi due to his step-dadi (Kitu Gidwani) who doesn't like his presence. Sameer bonds with his Step-brother Rohan and his Step-sister Deepika. Naina and Sameer, though separated for almost a year, love each other very much and their relationship goes strong. Sameer returns to Ahmedabad within a year and the couple reunite.
After schooling, Naina and Sameer enroll in VJN College. Sameer thinks that everyone who loves him has died due to which he distances himself from Naina. On the other hand, Naina constantly tries to get Sameer out of this thought and does a lot of effort to win back Sameer. Mr and Mrs fresher contest is approaching and Sameer refuses to take Naina as his partner. In order to convince Sameer to become his partner, Naina steals Sameer shoes and socks and ran. Sameer ran barefoot after Naina and got injured in his foot. Later on, Naina succeeds in winning back Sameer but it's only Sameer who becomes Mr Fresher while Sunaina, Naina's rival becomes Mrs Fresher. One day, Sameer takes Naina on a trip to celebrate her birthday, and Naina reaches home very late. While she is scared about facing her family's wrath, her family is busy questioning Arjun and Shefali, who is their neighbour, about their relationship. Shefali confesses that they are in love but Arjun denies as he is scared, this leads to their break-up and a humiliated Shefali is forced to leave the town. Naina now decides to break up with Sameer as she doesn't want to suffer what Arjun went through, which results in Sameer becoming a sage.Sameer goes opposite his original personalities and starts wearing chappal instead of shoes. Beena decides to get Naina married to a CA, Sharad, who is very arrogant and narrow-minded. Against the will, Naina has to agree to the alliance, depressing Sameer. To woo Naina, Sameer proposes to Sunaina, which Sunaina takes seriously. After Sharad misbehaves with Anand, Naina breaks off the alliance, to which the family agree.
One day Anand gets to know of their relation. On seeing Sameer's true love, dedication and loyalty towards Naina, he approves of their relationship. Thus, Sameer and Naina reunite as Naina now has someone from her family supporting her. Sunaina gets jealous and constantly tries to separate the two, meanwhile breaking Swati (Naina's best friend) and Naina's friendship.
Naina later becomes the General Secretary of the college. So, Sameer and Naina's relationship undergoes many trials and tribulations, which just makes their love stronger. Soon, there is a drama taking place at college and Naina and Kartik, who is their rival are selected as lead characters. Kartik hugs Naina on stage purposely and this angers Sameer. While trying to explain to Sameer, Naina is spotted by Taiji while saying "I love you", soon Taiji starts suspecting Naina and follows her everywhere to find who the boy is.
Anand meanwhile travels to America. In his absence, Naina goes for a bike ride with Sameer. This is spotted by Taiji and Rakesh and is very much angry with Naina for having a relationship with a 'Maheshwari' and also, Rakesh hates him. To hide the shame, Taiji decides to get Naina married to Sharad on the same day. Naina being afraid elopes with Sameer which creates a huge ruckus in the family. Naina and Sameer hide at a temple with their friends until Anand returns.
Naina and Sameer return home as soon as Anand returns. Naina, who thought Anand will support her, slaps her instead, leaving her shocked. Bela then clears the air saying she gave Naina permission to elope and how she was forced to marry Sharad. Anand apologises and promises to get her married to Sameer.
After many problems, Naina's family agrees for the marriage. But at night function, the Maheshwari's insult the Agarwals. This leads the families to break the engagement, much to the dismay of Naina and Sameer. But, after a few days, both of them get to know of the hatched plan of mamaji and tauji to break the marriage. Hence, Tauji and Taiji refuse to attend any of the functions of Naina and Sameer. But Anand assures the couple that he will conduct the marriage. Rakesh reluctantly helps in the marriage preparations.
Sameer, heartbroken of his Mamaji's evil actions, leaves his home and decides to stay in Munna's home. However, he never leaves the idea of marrying Naina. Munna and Pandit help Sameer in his marriage preparation.
And finally, Naina and Sameer get happily married. But Naina now faces humiliation due to her own mistakes, like that she doesn't perform a post-marital ritual properly. She then drapes a sari in the wrong way, making Mamiji and other guests make fun of her. Her permed hair also gets exposed, which makes Naina red faced. She also makes halwa as a ritual, making it too sweet, again an embarrassing moment for her. Vivek also makes Vishakha leave her son and return to Delhi, which makes both Sameer and Naina sad.
Now, the newly married couple travels to Ooty for a honeymoon. Meanwhile, Juhi and Arjun's marriage is fixed.
After returning from the honeymoon they realise that they are quite immature and they keep on having arguments. After the college exams end Sameer starts working in his factory where mamaji also works. Mamaji and Devang make a plan to insult and anger Sameer so that they can throw Sameer out of the business. They do so. When Sameer returns home after he gets to know about the separation, he unintentionally shouts and slaps Naina. She goes to her Chacha ji's home for Gangaur. Meanwhile, Munna's marriage is fixed and he throws a pre marriage party. There the other friends get to know about this fight. Sameer and Naina both cry and miss each other a lot but do not call each other. Both of them share their problems with their mom and Chachi ji. When Naina gets to know about the business separation from Mamaji she rushes to go to Sameer's house but gets an accident. Sameer then realised his mistake and asks her to get up and she does. Both of them lose their ego and get together again. The business is then separated. After that Sameer and Naina open a boutique named Samaina. 6 months pass and Preeti gets married to Shubham, Munna gets married to Reeva and Swati gets married to another man, but the boutique isn't going well. Swati makes Naina understand that she should now start getting romantic with Sameer as he is her husband. This makes Naina give up her insecurities and make as many memories as possible while they are still in Ahmedabad. Later, that night Sameer and Naina consummate their marriage.
Afterwards, they travel to Mumbai to fulfil the dream of Sameer becoming a hero. Though he faces many problems, their relationship and love remain strong.
Later on, Naina learns that she is pregnant. But reports suggest her to be suffering from chronic acidity and is not pregnant, which leaves both Naina and Sameer heartbroken. Naina soon gets a job as a writer which is approved by Sameer and Rakesh. On her 1st day, she faced humiliation by her boss for no reason. As a result, she eventually resigns from that company due to the negative attitude of her boss. Naina decides now to visit Aruna Irani who accepts her story.
Meanwhile, Pundit's marriage is fixed with Preeti's sister-in-law aka Subham's sister, Tanvi. This alliance also brings a reunion of the friends, Pundit, Preeti, Naina and Sameer. Tanvi declines Pandit's alliance as she is in love with Aditya. They, with the help of Sameer, have a court marriage, though parents being angry at first, later on accept and bless the couple. Naina gets the idea of her story from Aditya and Tanvi's relationship. Eventually, both relatives accept it but Nirmala Ji dislikes Samaina. Everyone in the society watches the 1st episode of Naina's written serial with Aruna Ji.
Finally, Naina is really pregnant. Nirmala is upset with Sameer and Naina, so she disallows Preeti to meet or have any relation with them. So, to meet Naina, she cooks up a fake story of her being pregnant, which later on becomes true. Mamaji now faces bankruptcy and travels to Mumbai. He is ashamed of his evil deeds to Sameer and Naina. Samaina helps Mamaji of his financial crisis and forgives of all his evil deeds.
Finally, the day comes of Naina's delivery. She gives birth to a baby girl whereas Preeti gives birth to a baby boy. During the babies'naming ceremony, Samaina's daughter is named Suman Maheshwari. Afterwards, Sameer buys his Ahemdabad house and they reconcile with Taui Ji and Tai Ji. In the end, they, Munna, Pundit, Preeti and Swati visit their ex-school to recreate and remember their past memories as it is the 50th anniversary of their school. The show ends with them bidding adieu to their school, thus living happily ever after.
- Chandresh Singh as Rakesh Aggarwal, Naina and Arjun's father,Preeti,Pooja and Pralay's uncle, Sameer's teacher and later father-in-law,Naresh and Anand's brother,Suman's grandfather
- Sachin Khurana as Anand Aggrawal,Naina's uncle and foster father,Preeti and Pooja's father,Bela's husband,Rakesh and Naresh's younger brother
- Madhusree Sharma as Bela Aggarwal, Naina's aunt and foster mother,Preeti and Pooja's mother,Anand's wife,Rakesh and Naresh's sister in-law
- Baby Kiara Bhanushali as Suman Maheshwari,Naina and Sameer's little daughter
- Kristina Patel as Swati, Naina's best friend, Munna's ex-girlfriend
- Ayesha Kaduskar as Preeti Shubham(nee' Aggrawal), Naina's first cousin, Shubham’s wife,Anand and Bela's daughter,Pooja's sister
- Sanjay Choudhary as Manoj aka Munna, Sameer and Pandit's best friend, Sameer's cousin,Swati's ex-boyfriend,Rewa's husband
- Raghav Dhir as Pushpendra Pandit aka Pandit, Sameer and Munna's best friend
- Abha Parmar as Beena Aggarwal, Naina and Preeti's aunt,Naresh's wife,Pralay's mother,Rakesh and Anand's sister in-law
- Vaishnavi Mahant as Vishakha Somani,Vivek's wife, Sameer and Deepika's mother, Naina's mother-in-law,Rohan's step-mother
- Ahsaan Qureshi as Pricipal Pandey,former principal of Pragati Vidya Ka Mandir
- Melanie Nazareth as Prabha Maheshwari, Sameer's aunt and guardian
- Rajendra Chawla as Kamlesh Maheshwari, Sameer's uncle and guardian
- Sanjay Batra as Naresh Aggarwal, Beena's husband, Naina,Preeti and Pooja's uncle,Rakesh and Anand's elder brother,Pralay's father
- Somendra Solanki/Vivaan Singh Rajput as Arjun Aggarwal,Rakesh's son,Naina's elder brother,Preeti,Pooja and Pralay's cousin,Shefali's ex-love interest,Juhi's husband
- Shweta Rajput as Pooja Mittal(nee' Aggrawal), Naina's cousin, Preeti's sister,Anand and Bela's daughter,Varun's wife
- Malina Kumra as Kamya, Naina, Preeti and Sameer's friend/classmate
- Kiran Kumar as Jaiprakash Maheshwari, Sameer's grandfather
- Rishina Kandhari as Shanti Teacher, Maths teacher at Pragati Vidya Ka Mandir School, Naina's mentor
- Hema Sood as Shefali Victor, Naina's pen friend and neighbour, Arjun's ex-love interest
- Kanchan Gupta as Nirmala,Shubham's mother, Preeti's mother-in-law
- Ruchita Vijay Jadhav as Vanita, Sameer and Naina's neighbour in Mumbai
- Nishi Singh as Sunaina Parekh, Naina's nemesis in VJN college
- Hitesh Sharma as Kartik Dholakia, Sameer's nemesis in VJN college
- Subuhi Joshi as Poonam Maheshwari, Sameer's sister-in-law
- Vikas Tripathi as Shubham, Preeti's husband,Nirmala's son
- Meghan Jadhav as Aditya Gadkari, Sameer's good friend and neighbour in Mumbai
- Sandeep Rajora as Vivek "Bobby" Somani,Vishaka's husband,Sameer's step-father,Naina's step-father in-law,Deepika and Rohan's father
- Kitu Gidwani as Mrs Somani aka "Dadi",Vivek's mother,Vishaka's mother in-law,Rohan and Deepika's grandmother,Sameer's step grandmother
- Rohit Chandel as Rohan Somani, Sameer's step-brother
- Riddhima Taneja as Deepika Somani, Sameer's half-sister,Vivek and Vishaka's daughter
- Jayshree T. as Phulla Bua, Naina and Preeti's great-aunt
- Nidhi Bhavsar as Juhi, Beena's niece,Arjun's wife,Naina's sister in-law
- Tarjanee Bhadla as Tanvi, Preeti's sister-in-law, later Aditya's wife
- Rushad Rana as Lochan sir,Drama teacher at Pragati Vidya Ka Mandir School, later Principal
- Guddi Maruti as Principal of VJN College
- Hema Sai as Hema, Naina and Preeti's friend
- Simran Lulla as Amrita, Sameer's neighbour and good friend in Delhi
- Devang Tanna as Jatin, Vanita's husband, Sameer and Naina's neighbour in Mumbai
- Sheetal Maulik as Sejal, Sameer and Naina's neighbour in Mumbai, Aditya’s sister-in-law
- Oorvi Vyas as Shibani, Jatin's sister, Sameer and Naina's neighbour in Mumbai
- Sandeep Goyal as Kanji, Sameer and Naina's domestic help in Ahmedabad
- Atul Verma as Devang Maheshwari, Sameer's cousin,Poonam's husband
- Love Joshi as Varun Mittal, Pooja's husband
- Devarshi Shah as Raghav/Ameer Maheshwari
- Vishnu Sharma as Jayesh Bhoummik Raval
- Arjun Aneja as Farhan Poonawala, Drama teacher at VJN College
- Vikram Singh Rathod as Sanjay Tibrewal,Naina,Sameer and Preeti's classmate at Pragati Vidya Ka Mandir
- Nirbhay Shukla as Vicky
- Vaibhav Shrivastav as Priyank
- Sejal Sharma as Dimple
- Charu Trikha as Mitali
- Garima Joshi as Sahiba
- Manika Mehrotra as Rinky Agarwal, Naina and Preeti's second cousin
- Aditya as Pralay Agarwal, Naina and Preeti's cousin,Naresh and Beena's son
- Prachi Joshi as Rewa, Munna's wife
The opening theme of Yeh Un Dinon Ki Baat Hai is composed by Anu Malik. The lyrics are written by Sanjay Chhel, and it comprises the voices of legendary singers Kumar Sanu and Sadhana Sargam. The song has been praised for its melodious lyrics, which refresh the happenings in the 1990s.
The show has received extremely good reviews. It was particularly hailed for its fresh outlook and for bringing out the nostalgia and the flavours of the 90s. It topped Sony TV shows by gaining a TRP of 1.5 in its first week.
The Times of India hailed it as one of the best TV shows launched in 2017 and praised the performances of newcomers Ashi Singh and Randeep Rai.
The UK's weekly Asian newspaper Eastern Eye praised the creative team of the show for leaving no stone unturned to recreate the city of Ahmedabad from an earlier era, calling it a tribute to the city.
Awards and nominations
|2018||Gold Awards||Best Debut (Female)||Ashi Singh||Nominated|
|Indian Television Academy Awards||Best Actor (Popular)||Randeep Rai||Nominated|
|Indian Telly Awards (Technical Awards)||Best Story (Jury)||Yeh Un Dinon Ki Baat Hai||Won|
|2019||Kalakar Awards||Best Female Debut||Ashi Singh||Won|
|Indian Telly Awards||Best Jodi (Popular)||Ashi Singh & Randeep Rai||Nominated|
|Best Daily Series (Popular)||Yeh Un Dinon Ki Baat Hai||Nominated|
|2019||Indian Television Academy Awards||Best Actress (Popular)||Ashi Singh||Nominated|
|Best Actor (Popular)||Randeep Rai||Nominated|
|Best Jodi (Popular)||Ashi Singh & Randeep Rai||Won|
|Best TV program (Popular)||Yeh Un Dinon Ki Baat Hai||Nominated|
- ""Yeh Un Dinon Ki Baat Hai", a show revisiting 90s era, airs on Sony from today". uniindia.com. 5 September 2017.
- "बंद हो रहा टीवी सीरियल ये उन दिनों की बात है, गिरती टीआरपी नहीं ये है असली वजह". hindi.timesnownews.com (in Hindi). Retrieved 28 July 2019.
- "Pehredaar Piya Ki makers 'heartbroken' after show was axed; next project Yeh Un Dinon Ki Baat Hai". Firstpost. 6 September 2017.
- "Shashi-Sumeet relive their love story with SET's Yeh In Dino Ki Baat Hai".
- "Gear up to go into flashbacks with Sony TV's new show 'Ye Un Dinon Ki Baat Hai'". Bollywoodmdb.com. 1 September 2017.
- "Yeh Un Dinon Ki Baat Hai will take you down the memory lane". indiatoday.in. 8 September 2017.
- "Kundali Bhagya, Yeh Un Dinon Ki Baat Hai – a look at the best shows launched in 2017!". BollywoodLife.com. 28 December 2017.
- "It's a wrap for Yeh Un Dinon Ki Baat Hai: Sameer and Naina get emotional on last day". India Today. Retrieved 17 August 2019.
- "Yeh Un Dinon Ki Baat Hai written update, August 16, 2019: Sameer and Naina enjoy reunion with their school friends - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 17 August 2019.
- "Yeh Un Dinon Ki Baat Hai Set to Return for Season 2, See Tease,r Poster". News18.
- "'Yeh Un Dinon Ki Baat Hai': Actors who lends their voice behind Naina and Sameer". clipper28.com.
- "Bollywood songs are losing poetic value: Kumar Sanu". radioandmusic.com. 5 September 2017.
- "Kumar Sanu: Singers who sang the original track must also sing the rehashed version". Hindustan Times. 15 September 2017.
- "Ninaithale Inikum Polimer TV serial".
- "Polimer Ninaithale inikum episodes".
- "Season Ticket Hiru TV | Ep 01 | 29-07-2019". Sinhala Teledrama - Sri Lankan News. Retrieved 3 August 2019.
- "Ye Un Dinon Ki Baat Hai: A few shows down & the story keeps you hooked!". bollywoodmdb.com. 14 September 2017.
- "'Yeh Un Dinon Ki Baat Hai': a love story from the 90s". The Times of India. 5 September 2017. Retrieved 19 January 2019.
- "SHASHI MITTAL'S TRIBUTE TO AHMEDABAD IN YEH UN DINON KI BAAT HAI!". Eastern Eye. 18 September 2017.
- "Veteran actress Supriya Pilgaonkar compliments makers of 'Yeh Un Dinon Ki Baat Hai' - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 30 December 2017.