An E2 series trainset on a Yamabiko service in December 2003
|First service||1959 (Semi-express)|
|Current operator(s)||JR East|
|Line(s) used||Tōhoku Shinkansen|
|Class(es)||Standard, Green, Gran Class (E5 series only)|
|Catering facilities||Trolley service|
|Rolling stock||E2 series, E3 series, E5 series, E6 series, H5 series|
|Track gauge||1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in)|
|Electrification||25 kV AC, 50 Hz|
|Operating speed||240 km/h (150 mph)|
1959–1963: Semi express
1965–1982: Limited express
From 1 October 1965, the name was reintroduced for limited express services operating between Ueno in Tokyo and Morioka. These services continued until 22 June 1982, the day before the Tōhoku Shinkansen opened.
From the start of services on the newly opened Tōhoku Shinkansen on 23 June 1982, Yamabiko became the name used for the limited-stop shinkansen services operating initially between Ōmiya and Morioka, later between Ueno and Morioka, and eventually between Tokyo and Morioka.
Special event train services
- JR新幹線＆特急列車ファイル [JR Shinkansen & Limited Express Train File]. Japan: Kōtsū Shimbun. 2008. ISBN 978-4-330-00608-6.
- JR Timetable, March 2013 issue
- JR時刻表 [JR Timetable] (in Japanese). Japan: Kotsu Shimbunsha. 2016. p. 978. EAN 4910053110464.
- 列車名鑑1995 [Train Name Directory 1995]. Japan: Railway Journal. August 1995.
- 東北新幹線「はやぶさ」に投入しているＥ５系車両を「はやて」「やまびこ」に導入！ [Tohoku Shinkansen "Hayabusa" E5 series trains to be introduced on "Hayate" and "Yamabiko" services] (PDF). Press release (in Japanese). Japan: East Japan Railway Company. 12 September 2011. Retrieved 12 September 2011.
- 東北新幹線：はやてにもＥ５系 ２００系は姿消す [E5 for Tohoku Shinkansen "Hayate" also - 200 series to disappear]. Mainichi.jp (in Japanese). Japan: The Mainichi Newspapers. 12 September 2011. Retrieved 12 September 2011.
- 「さよなら200系やまびこ号」運転 [Sayonara 200 series Yamabiko]. Japan Railfan Magazine Online (in Japanese). Japan: Koyusha Co., Ltd. 1 April 2015. Retrieved 8 June 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Yamabiko (train).|
- E2 series Hayate/Yamabiko/Nasuno (in Japanese)
- E3 series Tsubasa/Yamabiko/Nasuno (in Japanese)
- E5 series Hayabusa/Hayate/Yamabiko/Nasuno (in Japanese)
- E6 series Komachi/Hayabusa/Yamabiko/Nasuno (in Japanese)