Xconomy is a Boston, Massachusetts-based media company providing news on business, life sciences, and technology focusing on the regions of Boston, Boulder/Denver, Detroit, Indiana, New York City, Raleigh-Durham, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, Texas, Wisconsin, and beyond. The website was launched in June 2007 by Founder Robert Buderi, former Editor-in-Chief of MIT's Technology Review, and Co-Founder Rebecca Zacks, the former managing editor of the New England Journal of Medicine's daily e-newsletter Physician’s First Watch. Xconomy content covers "local personalities, companies, and technological trends to business and technology leaders" with a target audience of "entrepreneurs, business and technology executives and innovators, venture capitalists, angel investors, lawyers, and university researchers and officials." It also features op-eds from the Xconomists, an ad hoc team of editorial advisors who are some of the country's leading innovators, entrepreneurs, and investors. Xconomy has been described as reflecting "the insiderish feel of, say, Politico, but with some of the familiarity that you might expect from a small town paper."
Type of site
|Technology news & media company|
|Created by||Robert Buderi (founder) & Rebecca Zacks (co-founder)|
Xconomy was founded in 2007 in Cambridge, Massachusetts. The original Xconomy site focused on the city of Boston, before opening another outlet in Seattle in 2008 and expanding to other key technology clusters afterward. In 2016, Xconomy was acquired by Informa and moved its headquarters to Boston.
Since its founding, Xconomy has also entered the field of business-to-business event production, launched webinar and podcasting services (Xconomy Xpertise), and has formed a custom research and publishing arm (Xconomy Insight). Xconomy also provides "underwriting programs, banner ads, display ads, and ad networks".
- David Baltimore – biologist & Nobel laureate
- George Church – geneticist, molecular engineer, chemist & Wyss Institute for Biologically Inspired Engineering founding member
- Peter Diamandis – engineer, physician, entrepreneur (e.g., X Prize Foundation founder, Singularity University co-founder)
- Esther Dyson – journalist, author, businesswoman, investor, commentator & philanthropist
- Brad Feld – entrepreneur, author, blogger, & venture capitalist
- Mary Lou Jepsen – technical executive (e.g., Facebook, Google) & co-founder of One Laptop per Child
- Dean Kamen – engineer, inventor (e.g., Segway) & businessman (e.g., FIRST co-founder)
- Vinod Khosla – engineer and businessman (e.g., Sun Microsystems co-founder)
- Robert Langer – chemical engineer, scientist, entrepreneur & inventor
- Sue Siegel – executive (e.g., GE Ventures) & venture capitalist
- Marc Tessier-Lavigne – neuroscientist, executive (e.g., Genentech) & Stanford University president
- Anne Wojcicki – biologist & entrepreneur (e.g., 23andMe co-founder)
- Company Overview of Xconomy, Inc., Bloomberg Business, nd, retrieved 19 July 2015
- "Cities". Retrieved September 5, 2012.
- Rafat Ali (February 11, 2009). "Business News Blog Network XConomy Gets Second Round Funding". CBS News via paidcontent.org. Retrieved September 5, 2012.
- Xconomy (February 1, 2013). "About Our Mission, Team, and Ethics". Xconomy. Retrieved February 1, 2013.
- Crotty, James Marshall. "What Should Students Study Now To Prepare For 10 Years From Now?". Forbes. Retrieved 2017-12-22.
- "The Xconomy.com coverage and expansion strategy - Talking Biz News". talkingbiznews.com. Retrieved 2017-12-22.
- "Xconomy Detroit Tracks Innovative Ventures with Innovative Journalism". Poynter. Retrieved 2018-01-02.
- "Xconomy - Boston Millennia Partners". www.bostonmillenniapartners.com. Retrieved 2017-12-22.
- Scott Kirsner (June 3, 2010). "Xconomy planning to launch Silicon Valley site, ship Roush west". The Boston Globe. Retrieved September 5, 2012.
- PLC, Informa. "Informa.com - 2014-2016 Acquisitions". informa.com. Retrieved 2017-12-22.
- Bruce Bigelow and Wade Roush (December 22, 2010). "At a Private Xconomy Dinner, Luminaries Debate the Future of Innovation in San Diego". San Diego Union-Tribune. Retrieved September 5, 2012.
- "Xpertise | Xconomy". Xconomy. Retrieved 2017-12-22.