Tippecanoe County's location in Indiana
Location in Tippecanoe County
|Coordinates: 40°20′43″N 86°44′58″W|
|Elevation||659 ft (201 m)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||446346|
The Indian town of Wyandot in Sheffield Township was located in the ravine that is crossed by Dayton Road and runs past Wyandotte Cemetery into the Wildcat Creek. It is thought that the Indians moved their village down to the creek’s banks in the summer and retreated up the ravine in the winter. They lived in log houses and operated a trading post. When the White Settlers arrived, the Indians living there were probably neither Miami or Wyandott, but instead were most likely Potawatomi.
Wyandot is located at 40°20′43″N 86°44′58″W with an elevation of 659 feet.
Richardville Indian Reserve
The Richardville Indian Reserve was located in Sheffield Township and was one of six Reserves located in Tippecanoe County. It was owned by Jean-Baptiste Richardville and in 1818 the land surrounding the village was divided into five sections for his five children.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. October 25, 2007. Retrieved 2016-07-25.
- "Ghost Towns of Tippecanoe County". Retrieved 2016-07-26.
- "Tippecanoe County". Jim Forte Postal History. Retrieved July 25, 2016.
- "Wyandot, Indiana". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved 2016-07-25.