Woolverstone Hall School

In the early 1950s the London County Council obtained use of Woolverstone Hall near Ipswich, Suffolk, and some 50 acres (200,000 m2) of adjoining land for the purpose of establishing a secondary grammar boarding school for London boys. The premises were previously occupied by the LNS Woolverstone, a branch of the London Nautical School, some students of which were permitted to complete their education in the new environment, which commenced experimentally in 1950. In September 1951, the new school formally opened with mostly new teaching staff under a new headmaster, Mr J. S. H. Smitherman.[1] It became comprehensive in 1977, under the auspices of the Inner London Education Authority. The school closed in 1990 and the site was sold to the Girls' Day School Trust. In 1992 it became the home of Ipswich High School.

Woolverstone Hall School

, ,

Coordinates52°00′10″N 1°11′43″E
MottoNisi Dominus Vanum
FounderLondon County Council
Local authorityLCC and then ILEA
Headmaster(orig.) J. S. H. Smitherman
Age11 to 18
HousesBerners, Corner's, Hall's, Hanson's, Johnston's, Orwell
Colour(s)Navy blue and gold

Notable former students


  1. The Star, London, 17 September 1951
  2. More info on Graham Barlow from Chris Snuggs at (historic) Woolverstone Old Boys' site

Further reading

This article is issued from Wikipedia. The text is licensed under Creative Commons - Attribution - Sharealike. Additional terms may apply for the media files.