Woodhead Publishing Limited was established in 1989 as an independent international publishing company of science and technical books. The company publishes books in association with The Textile Institute, Cambridge International Science Publishing. They have previously published books in association with The Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining (IOM3) and the European Federation of Corrosion.
|Headquarters location||Sawston, Cambridge|
|Imprints||Chandos Publishing, Horwood Publishing|
In December 2008 Woodhead Publishing acquired the backlist, future titles and imprint of Chandos Publishing in Witney, Oxford, UK, comprising over 250 books in the fields of library and information management, knowledge management and Asian Studies.
In 2011 they launched Woodhead Publishing Online, a resource of scientific, technical and information trends, comprising over 800 e-books, containing 12,000 chapters. This resource was hosted by MetaPress, a division of EBSCO Industries Inc.
Woodhead (and its imprint Chandos) was acquired by Elsevier in August 2013.
Its current areas of publication include food science, technology and nutrition; materials engineering; welding and metallurgy; textile technology; energy and environmental technology; finance, commodities and business studies; mathematics and biomedicine.
- Chandos Publishing
- Horwood Publishing
- Abington Publishing
Nominations and awards
In 2013, the company was announced as a contender for the Frankfurt Book Fair Academic & Professional Publisher of the Year award at this year’s Independent Publishing Awards. Judges stated that "Woodhead has built up an unrivalled knowledge of its niche subjects and customers."
- "Woodhead Publishing Acquires Chandos Publishing Titles". Booktrade.info. 2009-01-01.
- "Woodhead launches e-book platform". Birmingham, Alabama: MetaPress. 2010-10-06. Archived from the original on 2011-04-09. Retrieved 2011-02-01.
- "Elsevier acquires Woodhead Publishing". PR Newswire. 13 August 2013. Retrieved 20 September 2013.
- "Woodhead Publishing acquires Horwood Publishing". The Bookseller. 2010-01-07.
- "Frankfurt Book Fair Academic & Professional Publisher of the Year award". Independent Publishers Guild. 2012-02-12.
- "London Book Fair International Achievement Award". The Bookseller. 2012-03-09.
- Woodhead Publishing at Elsevier
- Woodhead Publishing India
- "UKEN Corporate News - Woodhead Publishing". United Kingdom Environment News. October 1, 1999. Retrieved 2008-11-21.
- "Share bonus for top five". Employee Benefits. March 1, 2001. Retrieved 2008-11-21.
- "E-book platform". October 2008. Retrieved 2008-11-25.
Metapress And Woodhead Publishing Forge Partnership To Build New E-book Platform.
- "New offices open in the USA". September 2010. Retrieved 2010-01-27.
New office opens in Philadelphia, to handle the sales, marketing and distribution of its books on science and technology.