Witness in the Dark
|Witness in the Dark|
British theatrical poster
|Directed by||Wolf Rilla|
|Produced by||Norman Williams|
|Screenplay by||Leigh Vance|
|Based on||an original play by James Parish|
|Music by||Philip Green|
|Cinematography||Brendan J. Stafford|
|Edited by||Bernard Gribble|
Alliance Film Distributors Limited (present)
Sydney Box Associates (present)
|Distributed by||Rank Film Distributors (UK)|
Blind telephone operator Jane Pringle (Patricia Dainton) is present when her neighbour, elderly Mrs. Temple (Enid Lorimer), is murdered by an intruder (Nigel Green) searching for a jewelled brooch. On the staircase, Jane accidentally brushes against the killer. Later, when Jane inherits the valuable brooch from Mrs. Temple, she finds herself targeted by the intruder.
- Patricia Dainton as Jane Pringle
- Conrad Phillips as Inspector Coates
- Madge Ryan as Mrs. Finch
- Nigel Green as the Intruder
- Enid Lorimer as Mrs. Temple
- Richard O'Sullivan as Don Theobald
- Stuart Saunders as Mr. Finch
- Noel Trevarthen as Sergeant Jones
- Maureen O'Reilly as Sophie Trellan
- Ian Colin as Superintendent Thompson
- Larry Burns as Carter
- Ann Wrigg as Woman Neighbour
- Frazer Hines as Newsboy
The Radio Times wrote, "Coming between Bachelor of Hearts and Village of the Damned, this is one of Wolf Rilla's lesser efforts. However, he conjures up a pleasing sense of menace that anticipates Wait until Dark as he subjects blind telephonist Patricia Dainton to the murderous machinations of a prowler. As so often in thrillers of this kind, much depends on contrivance and the script might have concealed its hand with a little more artfulness. But Dainton's performance is superior to that seen in the majority of British Bs"; TV Guide on the other hand, found it "Standard and predictable," though agreed that "Dainton gives a nice performance"; while NoirWorthWatching described the film as "efficiently directed," and concluded that it "in many ways is more of a movie than its 62-minute length might suggest. Very much worth watching."
- "Witness in the Dark (1959) - Wolf Rilla - Synopsis, Characteristics, Moods, Themes and Related - AllMovie". AllMovie.
- "Witness in the Dark – review - cast and crew, movie star rating and where to watch film on TV and online". Radio Times.
- "Witness In The Dark". TVGuide.com.
- "WITNESS IN THE DARK (1959)". noirworthwatching.blogspot.co.uk.