William Robinson (architect)
William Robinson (1645–1712) was the Surveyor General of Ireland from 1670/71 until 1700. Born in England, Robinson was appointed to the post of Surveyor General by John Berkeley in his first year of office as Lord Lieutenant of Ireland.
Portrait of Robinson by Godfrey Kneller (1693)
|Surveyor General of Ireland|
Serving with Wm Molyneux (1684–1698)
|Preceded by||John Morton|
|Succeeded by||Thomas de Burgh|
Robinson is credited as the architect of several notable buildings in Ireland during his tenure. These include: Charles Fort in Kinsale (1670s), the Royal Hospital in Kilmainham (1684), St. Michan's Church in Dublin (1686), St. Mary's Church in Dublin (~1700), "Marsh's Library"(1701), and developmental works at Dublin Castle.
From 1684 Robinson shared the post of Surveyor General with William Molyneaux, until his resignation in 1700, when he was replaced by Thomas de Burgh (designer of the Royal Barracks in Dublin - now Collins Barracks).
Robinson was knighted and admitted to the Irish Privy Council, but later implicated in corruption and a financial scandal in the early 18th century. He was imprisoned for a time, before leaving Ireland in 1709. He died in England in 1712.
- Archiseek - Architects of Ireland - William Robinson (1645-1712)
- Kilfeather, Siobhán Marie (2005). Dublin: a cultural history. Oxford University Press. pp. 132–133. ISBN 0-19-518201-4.
- Heritage-Ireland.ie - Charles Fort
- Royal Hospital Kilmainham - History
- Archiseek - St. Michan's
- Surveyor Generals of Ireland
- Portrait of Sir William Robinson - Subject description
- Answers.com - Sir William Robinson
| Surveyor General of Ireland
Thomas de Burgh