William Hewitt (minister)
He was born on 6 April 1951 in Kilmarnock, Ayrshire, Scotland and educated at Kilmarnock Academy and the University of Glasgow. He graduated with the degree of Bachelor of Divinity from the University of Glasgow in 1974.
He was minister at Westburn Parish Church in Greenock, Scotland until 2012 and was the first serving minister of a church in Greenock ever to become Moderator. He was ordained in 1977, whilst serving as Assistant Minister at Castlehill Parish Church in Ayr. In 1978 he became minister at Elderslie Parish Church, Johnstone, serving for 16 years before moving to St Luke's Parish Church, Greenock, in 1994. In 2006 St Luke's united with neighbouring St George's North Church to become Westburn Church. His latest role is in interim ministry, currently (2012) serving as Clerk pro tem to the Presbytery of Glasgow.
He has also served as Moderator of the Presbytery of Greenock and the first Moderator of the successor Presbytery of Greenock and Paisley. In 1993, Mr Hewitt was appointed to the General Assembly's Board of Practice and Procedure where he served for 8 years, becoming Convener of the General Assembly Arrangements Committee and Convener of the Business Committee of the General Assembly. Mr Hewitt has also been a member of the Church of Scotland's Assembly Council and of the Support and Services Committee.
He is married to Moira; they have a daughter and two sons. Full name and title: The Very Reverend William Currie Hewitt BD DipPS.
- "Kirk selects Moderator Designate".
- Fasti Ecclesiæ Scoticanæ, Volume XI (page 128), T&T Clark Ltd, Edinburgh, 2000, ISBN 0 567 08750 6
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 14 March 2012. Retrieved 9 December 2012.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Fasti Ecclesiæ Scoticanæ, Volume XI (page 119), T&T Clark Ltd, Edinburgh, 2000, ISBN 0 567 08750 6
- Fasti Ecclesiæ Scoticanæ, Volume XI (page 364), T&T Clark Ltd, Edinburgh, 2000, ISBN 0 567 08750 6
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 22 October 2012. Retrieved 9 December 2012.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Profile on the Church of Scotland website
- Westburn Church, Greenock
- BBC news report
- Local news report
| Moderator of the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland
John C. Christie