White Oaks Mall (Springfield, Illinois)
White Oaks Mall is a shopping center in Springfield, Illinois, United States. It is located at the junction of Illinois Route 4 (Veterans Parkway) and Wabash Avenue. With 928,772 square feet (86,285.7 m2) of retail space, it is the second largest enclosed shopping center in Central Illinois.
|Owner||Simon Property Group (80.7%)|
|No. of stores and services||77|
|No. of anchor tenants||3 (1 open, 2 vacant)|
|Total retail floor area||928,772 square feet (86,285.7 m2)|
|No. of floors||2|
The mall is located on the southwest side of Springfield, approximately five miles (8 km) southwest of the traditional city center. Construction started in 1974 and opened in 1977. In the early 1990s, it underwent a $14 million renovation which included the addition of a new food court. A carousel was installed in 1997.
White Oaks Mall houses 106 stores as of 2019. Its operator, the Simon Property Group, which owns 80.7% of the mall, describes White Oaks Mall as a "super-regional shopping mall". The mall shares its name with the White Oak, the state tree of the U.S. state of Illinois.
- Bergner's (originally Myers Brothers, became Bergner's in 1982) Closed in 2018
- Macy's (originally Famous-Barr, became Macy's in 2006) Still open
- Sears, Roebuck and Company closed in 2018, last original anchor to close
An original anchor, Montgomery Ward, ceased operations in 2001. The former anchor space was split among Dick's Sporting Goods, Cost Plus World Market, and Linens 'n Things. After the latter two closed in 2008, the Linens 'n Things space became hhgregg, while the Cost Plus became LA Fitness. Hhgregg closed in 2017 due to their bankruptcy. The closures of Bergner's and Sears in 2018 left Macy's as the only remaining anchor.
- "Springfield: Shopping". Springfield Convention and Visitors Bureau. Retrieved 2009-11-07.
- White Oaks Mall. OutletStoresMalls.com. Retrieved: 9 February 2015.
- "White Oaks Mall: Springfield, IL". Simon Property Group. Retrieved 2009-11-07.
- "White Oaks Mall (1993)". SpringfieldRewind.com. December 11, 2007. Retrieved November 9, 2009.
- Bill Ward (October 17, 1993). "White Oaks Mall a travel adventure: Just when you think you've shopped it all... whoomp, there it is!". Herald & Review (Decatur, Illinois). Retrieved November 9, 2009.
- "History of White Oaks Mall". The State Journal-Register (Springfield, Illinois). February 1, 2009. Retrieved November 9, 2009.