West Villages, Florida
West Villages is a planned community located in Sarasota County, Florida, United States. Majority of the West Villages is located along US 41 and River Road (County Road 777) at the edges of unincorporated Sarasota County and within the city limits of North Port.
|Coordinates: 27°02′59″N 82°19′16″W|
|Time zone||UTC−05:00 (EST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−04:00 (EDT)|
34223, 34292, 34293
In May 2014, a partnership, including Mattamy Homes and Vanguard Land and other developers, invested about $100 million to purchase approximately 9,600 acres (3,900 ha) that represented the remainder of the former Berry and Taylor family ranch.
In early 2017, the Atlanta Braves professional baseball team announced the selection of West Villages Florida, as the site of CoolToday Park. Sarasota County has approved its funding earmarking about $22 million in tourist development taxes. The City of North Port will provide $4.7 million and the Florida Sports Foundation is slated to contribute $20 million.
The developer is donating the land, road work, and utility infrastructure as well as an annual $300,000 contribution. The Atlanta Braves are making the upfront capital contribution and annual lease payments. By hosting the stadium, West Villages ensures a lot of future activities, events and opportunities for its residents as well as visitors from throughout the region and the country.
West Villages Improvement District
Much of the planned community is situated within the West Villages Improvement District (WVID or “District”), a limited, single and specialized purpose local government whose purpose is to provide infrastructure, including community development systems, facilities, services, projects, and improvements to the District.
Florida Legislature established the District with the intent that the growth of the community will pay for itself in the long run. All activities of the District are done to benefit the property owner. A five-person board governs the District, which oversees approximately 11,000 acres (4,500 ha).
- "Zoning Map". City of North Port. September 24, 2018. Retrieved January 25, 2019.
- Hielscher, John (August 7, 2017). "Housing starts down but closings rise". Sarasota Herald-Tribune.
- Duhane, Lindo (January 10, 2017). "West Villages and developers in the process of making major additions". WWSB.
- Hielscher, John (January 5, 2017). "West Villages, Lakewood Ranch rank among fastest-growing". Sarasota Herald-Tribune.
- Kimel, Earle (May 25, 2017). "West Villages signs off on Braves agreement". Sarasota Herald-Tribune.
- Murdock, Zach (January 17, 2017). "Atlanta Braves pick Sarasota County for spring training". Sarasota Herald-Tribune.
- "North Port reacts to Braves coming: The best thing that could happen". WWSB. January 19, 2017.
- "West Villages Improvement District". West Villages Florida. Retrieved December 26, 2018.