West End, Hampshire
West End is a parish in Hampshire in the borough of Eastleigh. It is ENE of the city of Southampton. As well as the village itself, the parish contains the Chartwell Green suburb of Southampton. The village is small and generally classed as an area in the outer suburbs or rural urban fringe of Eastleigh because of the surrounding woodland and countryside, including Telegraph Woods and Itchen Valley Country Park.
The old West End fire station, designed by Herbert Collins
|Population||11,470 (2011 Census)|
|OS grid reference||SU471138|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Postcode district||SO30, SO18|
|EU Parliament||South East England|
|Website||West End Parish Council|
Aside from a typical number of listed houses, main landmarks of the parish are Moorgreen Hospital — a large, ornate Victorian building, the original St James School, built in 1901, on the high street, and West End Fire Station — a museum in the centre of the village.
A series of round barrows, dating from the Bronze Age (2000-600 BC), have been discovered in the Moorgreen area of the parish. There were five of these to the north of the former Moorgreen Hospital site. A hilltop fort from the Iron Age was built on the ridge above the village around 600-100BC. A shutter telegraph station operated from the site during the Napoleonic Wars, forming part of the line connecting London to Plymouth. It was this station that gave the name to the nearby Telegraph Woods.
The village was originally a hamlet which grew up around a track between Romsey and Portsmouth. The hamlet had a chapel by 1552 primarily for the use of the lords of the manor of Allington. When the track became a turnpike road in the early 19th century, the hamlet began to grow.
In 1838, a national school was opened to house 192 children.
The hamlet was within the parish of South Stoneham until the ecclesiastical parish of West End was established in 1840, two years after the construction of the original St James' Church. In 1846 a Bible Christian chapel was constructed in Chapel Road.
An extra room was added to the national school in 1866. In 1871 an independent school for younger children was opened, having been built by Mrs Harriet Hazlefoot.
Harriet Hazlefoot's school became the infants' department of the national school in 1894.
During the 20th century, the school moved again into a new (third) building and was renamed St James' Primary School. The second school building became Hilldene Community Centre, where a number of adult education courses and other activities take place.
In 1900, two further Methodist chapels were built, one in the Moorgreen area and one in Swaythling Road. In September 1904 the children of the national school were moved to a new location with the old school building becoming the parish hall.
The fire station was opened in May 1939 by Mrs Pearson of Oaklands in Allington Lane. The station was crewed by a mixture of National Fire Service and Auxiliary Fire Service personnel, and the station housed a Dennis New World fire engine.
During the 1970s, Maurice Robinson represented the ward on Hampshire County Council as a member of the Conservative Party.
A Roman Catholic church building was opened in the village in 1961.
Richard St. Barbe Baker did a lot of his career work in West End, where he made a Project costing £180,000 to improve West End's High Street, by upgrading pavement slabs, plus adding safety rails, better lighting, removing all graffiti and damaged planters. The scheme also produced CCTV cameras managed by S & P Southampton Ltd. Near the end of the High Street, a plaque in his honour was made to thank all good things he has done for West End, plus a road named after him (Barbe Baker Avenue) was also created.
The fire station was closed in 1996 and the building was transferred to the parish council to run as a community venue. West End Local History Society established at the same time set up its museum in the building.
The Rose Bowl (or Ageas Bowl) cricket ground was built in 2000 along with an accompanying hotel and conference facilities and a 18-hole golf course. It has hosted several international cricket games and a number of well known musical acts such as Oasis, the Who, Neil Diamond, R.E.M. and Billy Joel.
Matters such as social events, footpaths and sports facilities are governed by the (civil) parish council. Much greater expenditure is managed by the local Borough and Hampshire County Councils. The civil parish council has 14 seats across three wards: West End North, West End South and Kanes Hill. All of the council members at present are either affiliated to the Liberal Democrats or sit as independents; no other political party contested any of the seats at the last election on 6 May 2012.
Culture and community
The annual West End Carnival takes place each June, although it did not run in 2009 or 2010 due to a lack of volunteers. The parish has an active local history society which runs a museum in the old fire station in the village centre.
There is one primary school in the village of West End, St. James School. Its predecessor is on the High Street built in 1901 which for a time during the late 20th century became St James's Pre-School.
Forester and environmental activist Richard St. Barbe Baker was born in West End.
RMS Titanic rescuer and engineer
Sir Arthur Henry Rostron
In the West End's Old Burial Ground, Sir Arthur Henry Rostron is buried. As captain of the Carpathia he was famous for rescuing 706 of her passengers and crew when RMS Titanic sank on 15 April 1912 and was awarded many honours, including being created a Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire (KBE), as well as being awarded a Congressional Gold Medal. In the latter part of his life, he decided to spend his retirement in West End, where he stayed until he died in 1940.
Henry James Jukes was a West End born and brought up man, who lived in Camlens House, Moorgreen Road, West End. James' parents, Joseph and Elizabeth Jukes, ran a garden holding and James was soon to be married. James was on board the Titanic as a part of the engineering department, or as it was better known, the 'black crew', but, aged 35 years, dived into the North Atlantic Ocean, and went down with the ship. In his honour, in 2002, a housing development on Moorgreen Road was named 'Jukes Walk'.
There are plaques in West End Museum for both Rostron and Jukes.
- "Civil Parish population 2011". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 12 December 2016.
- "West End Local History Society: Barrows". Archived from the original on 23 December 2012.
- "West End Local History Society; Brief History of West End". Archived from the original on 22 November 2005.
- "West End Local History Society: Shutter Telegraph". Archived from the original on 1 August 2012.
- Bitterne and West End Local History Societies (15 March 2009). Bitterne and West End Through Time. Amberley Publishing Limited. ISBN 9781445626963.
- "West end parish". Weparish.co.uk. Retrieved 14 September 2012.
- "Memorial to Richard St.Barbe Baker". Westendlhs.hampshire.org.uk. Retrieved 14 September 2012.