Watusi (also known as King Solomon's Mines 2) is a 1959 Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer adventure film, It is the sequel to the 1950 film King Solomon's Mines. Like its predecessor, the film was directed by Kurt Neumann and starring George Montgomery, Taina Elg, David Farrar and Rex Ingram. It was produced by Al Zimbalist and Donald Zimbalist. The screenplay was by James Clavell loosely based on the novel King Solomon's Mines by H. Rider Haggard.
Original film poster
|Directed by||Kurt Neumann|
|Produced by||Al Zimbalist|
|Written by||James Clavell|
|Based on||King Solomon's Mines by H. Rider Haggard|
|Starring||George Montgomery |
|Cinematography||Harold E. Wellman|
|Edited by||William B. Gulick|
Harry Quatermain (George Montgomery) is the son of Allan Quatermain who first set out on the quest for the source of Solomon's wealth, and he is determined to succeed where his father failed. He goes to Africa with his good friend Rick Cobb (David Farrar) and as they continue on their journey, Erica Neuler (Taina Elg) joins them. She is the daughter of a missionary who has been killed by a local tribe. Harry cannot hide his antagonism toward Erica. She is German, and Harry's mother was killed at sea by Germans in World War I.
- George Montgomery as Harry Quatermain
- Taina Elg as Erica Neuler
- David Farrar as Rick Cobb
- Rex Ingram as Umbopa
- Dan Seymour as Mohamet
- Robert Goodwin as Jim-Jim
- Anthony M. Davis as Amtaga
- Paul Thompson as Gagool
- Harold Dyrenforth as Wilhelm von Kentner
- Charles Swain as M'ban
- Martin Wilkins as Wounded Native
The film was originally known as Return to King Solomon's Mines and was the first movie produced for the studio by Al Zimablist since he signed a contract with them. Director Kurt Neumann had just made The Fly (1958) which was written by James Clavell and Clavell wrote the screenplay for this. Taina Elg was under contract to MGM at the time and had just made Les Girls for them.
- The Eddie Mannix Ledger, Los Angeles: Margaret Herrick Library, Center for Motion Picture Study.
- WATUSI. (1959, Monthly Film Bulletin, 26, 63. Retrieved from https://search.proquest.com/docview/1305825447
- Hopper, H. (1958, Apr 10). Roz russell may do 'mame' as musical. Los Angeles Times (1923-Current File) Retrieved from https://search.proquest.com/docview/167280229
- Kurt neumann, director, dies in mystery. (1958, Aug 22). Los Angeles Times (1923-Current File) Retrieved from https://search.proquest.com/docview/167255402
- Watusi on IMDb
- Watusi at AllMovie
- Watusi at the TCM Movie Database
- Zone Troopers: Website about the different Allan Quatermain and King Solomon's Mine films