Warszawa Wschodnia railway station
Warszawa Wschodnia (Warsaw East) is one of the most important railway stations in Warsaw, Poland. Its more official name is Warszawa Wschodnia Osobowa (literally translated as Warsaw East Passenger). It is located on the eastern side of the Vistula river, on the border of the Praga-Północ and Praga-Południe district, on the Warsaw Cross-City Line. It serves many trains as all trains passing through the larger Warszawa Centralna and Śródmieście stations also stop or terminate at Wschodnia station.
|Location||Praga Południe, Warsaw, Masovian|
|Owned by||Polskie Koleje Państwowe S.A.|
|Opened||1866 (Rebuilt 1933, 1969)|
|Previous names||Terespol Train Station|
(Polish: Dworzec Terespolski)
The station first started operating in 1866 as the terminus of newly built Warsaw–Terespol Railway. By 1933 the station was rebuilt as a through station with the opening of the Cross-City line. The station building was destroyed during World War II, and in postwar decades provisional, temporary buildings were used to serve passengers.
The current station building opened in 1969 and was for a while the most modern large station in Warsaw. In the following years it received little investment and so fell into disrepair. At the beginning of the 21st century it was considered the worst railway station in Poland, according to Gazeta Wyborcza which gave it last place in the ranking of 23 most significant Polish railway stations.
The station building was recently renovated for the Euro 2012 championships.
The station is served by the following service(s):
- EuroCity services (EC) Berlin - Frankfurt (Oder) - Rzepin - Poznań - Kutno - Warsaw