Walter Joseph Patrick Curley Jr. (September 17, 1922 – June 2, 2016) was the 57th United States Ambassador to France from 1989 to 1993, and the United States Ambassador to Ireland from 1975 to 1977. Curley was New York City's Commissioner of Public Events and Chief of Protocol from 1973 to 1974, during the administrations of John Lindsay and Abraham Beame.
Curley in 1973
|57th United States Ambassador to France|
July 6, 1989 – February 11, 1993
|President||George H. W. Bush|
|Preceded by||Joe M. Rodgers|
|Succeeded by||Pamela Harriman|
|United States Ambassador to Ireland|
September 18, 1975 – May 2, 1977
|Preceded by||John D. J. Moore|
|Succeeded by||William V. Shannon|
|Born||September 17, 1922|
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, U.S.
|Died||June 2, 2016 93) (aged|
New York City, New York, U.S.
|Spouse(s)||Mary Taylor Walton|
|Children||Margaret C. Wiles|
John Walton Curley
|Residence||New York City, New York, U.S.|
|Alma mater||Yale University|
|Battles/wars||World War II|
He wrote two books on royalty, Vanishing Kingdoms, and Monarchs in Waiting, as well as two memoirs, Letters from the Pacific: 1943–1946, and Almost a Century: An American Life East and West of Suez. Curley was a graduate of Phillips Academy, Yale University and Harvard Business School. Curley was in the Marine Corps during World War Two, serving from 1943 to 1946, seeing combat on Iwo Jima and Okinawa. He was a captain and was decorated with a Bronze star. Curley died in New York City.
His nomination as United States Ambassador to France was controversial as he was one of several made by Bush of long-time financial backers and financial supporters including Peter F. Secchia (Ambassador of Italy), Joseph Zappala (Ambassador of Spain), Mel Sembler (Ambassador of Australia), Frederic Bush Morris (Ambassador of Luxembourg), and Joy Silverman (Ambassador of Barbados).
- Curley, Walter J. P. (1959). Letters from the Pacific: 1943–1946. privately printed. ASIN B00NZK2AXM.
- Curley, Walter J. P. (1973). Monarchs-in-waiting. Dodd, Mead and Company. ISBN 978-0396068402.
- Curley, Walter J. P. (2004). Vanishing Kingdoms: The Irish Chiefs and Their Families. The Lilliput Press. ISBN 978-1843510550.
- Curley, Walter J. P. (2017). Almost a Century: An American Life East and West of Suez. Small Batch Books. ISBN 978-1937650674.
- "Walter Joseph Patrick Curley Jr. (1922–2016)". history.state.gov. Retrieved April 22, 2017.
- "Walter J. P. Curley". NNDB. Retrieved 2009-02-21.
- Roberts, Sam (June 8, 2016). "Walter Curley, Venture Capitalist and U.S. Ambassador, Dies at 93". The New York Times. Retrieved April 22, 2017.
- "WALTER CURLEY (1922 – 2016)". legacy.com. June 5, 2016.
- "True to tradition. President Bush is rewarding his long-time financial backers and political supporters with desirable ambassadorships, mostly in Western Europe". The Financial Times. April 2, 1990.
Joe M. Rodgers
| U.S. Ambassador to France
John D. J. Moore
| U.S. Ambassador to Ireland
William V. Shannon