Wallan railway station
Platform 2 in November 2012
|Location||Station Street, Wallan|
|Distance||47.49 kilometres from Southern Cross|
|Fare zone||Myki Zone 2|
|Website||Public Transport Victoria|
|Opened||18 April 1872|
The station opened as Wallan Wallan on 18 April 1872, the line having opened a few months earlier, as part of the North East line to Wodonga. The main town on the Hume Highway has since become known as Wallan, while the township beside the railway has become known as Wallan East.
The first goods shed was provided in 1873, with a loading platform for timber erected the next year. In 1876, the goods shed was replaced, and the current wooden building on the Down platform provided. The first lever frame was provided in 1895, with a separate signal box on the Up platform provided in 1916.
Wallan was provided with a number of sidings to marshal trains for the Heathcote line, which branched off the North East line at Heathcote Junction. A small locomotive depot was also provided, along with a 50 feet (15 m) long turntable in 1892. The yard was substantially expanded in 1913, for increasing timber traffic on the Heathcote line, including sidings worked by gravity. In 1933, an additional 70 feet (21 m) turntable was provided.
Between 1961 and 1965, the locomotive servicing facilities were removed, while the late 1980s and early 1990s saw the removal of the remaining sidings. Further removal of a number of points and signals were undertaken in April 1991. It was also around this time that a crossover was provided at the Down end of the station. The signal box was removed in 1995, and replaced by a new lever frame in the station building. This frame was built from parts of the Craigieburn frame, and was the last new frame to be installed on mainline railways in Victoria.
In August 2018 plans for a station upgrade were announced, works including the provision of more car parking spaces and a lengthening of the Melbourne-bound platform so as to accommodate six carriage trains. This work is due to be completed by 2020.
Platforms & services
Mitchell Transit operates three routes to and from Wallan station:
- Wallan Vicsig
- Turton, Keith W (1973). Six And A Half Inches From Destiny. Australian Railway Historical Society. pp. 88–89. ISBN 0-85849-012-9.
- "Works". Newsrail. Australian Railway Historical Society. August 1991. p. 253.
- Andrew Waugh. "Victorian Station Histories - Wallan" (PDF). VR History. Retrieved 24 December 2008.
- Author (2 August 2018). "Donnybrook and Wallan stations to receive $24 million upgrades". Rail Express. Retrieved 4 August 2018.
- Seymour - Melbourne Public Transport Victoria
- "Wallan 1 Wallan Station - Wallan Central". Public Transport Victoria.
- "Wallan 2 Wallan Station - Springridge". Public Transport Victoria.
- "Wallan 3 Wallan Station - Wallara Waters Shuttle". Public Transport Victoria.