The Wagait Shire is a local government area in the Northern Territory of Australia. The council was established as the Cox Peninsula Community Government Council on 28 April 1995 and renamed with effect from 1 July 2008. The shire is located west of Darwin, as a 15-minute ferry ride, or a 138 kilometres (86 mi) drive on fully sealed roads.
Location of Wagait Shire
|Population||463 (2016 census)|
|• Density||82.38/km2 (213.4/sq mi)|
|Area||5.62 km2 (2.2 sq mi)|
|Council seat||Wagait Beach|
The council derived its previous name from the Cox Peninsula. It was named after Matthew Dillon Cox who was regarded as the Northern Territory's first pastoralist, who applied for a lease over the peninsula in 1869, just after the establishment of Darwin. The current name is derived from the name of the township located near Wagait Beach.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Wagait (S) (Local Government Area)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 28 June 2017.
- Knight, D.R. (30 June 2008). "Local Government act 2008, TOP END COUNCILS" (PDF). Northern Territory Government. p. 7. Retrieved 25 February 2019.
...change the name of the Cox Peninsula Shire to Wagait Shire..." and "...assign the name Wagait Shire Council to the shire council for the Wagait Shire...