WION (TV channel)
WION (World is One) is an Indian pay television news channel owned by Zee Media. The channel reports global news and issues from the Indian subcontinent. Its website was launched on 15 June 2016 and the TV channel on 15 August 2016 as a free-to-air satellite service in thirty-seven countries.
|Launched||15 August 2016|
|Owned by||Zee Media|
|Picture format||1080i HDTV|
(downscaled to 4:3 576i for the SDTV feed)
|Slogan||World is one|
|Replaced||Zee News English|
|Dish TV||Channel 765|
|Airtel Digital TV||Channel 378|
|Independent TV||Channel 457|
|Tata Sky||Channel 615|
|AsiaSat 7||3706 MHz|
|Indovision (Indonesia)||Channel 331|
|K+ (Vietnam)||Channel 109|
|StarHub TV (Singapore)||Channel 156 (SD)|
Channel 186 (HD)
|Mediacorp (Singapore)||Channel 30 UHF|
(Baybay City, Philippines)
|Channel 6 (SD)|
|TransACT (Australia)||Channel 251|
|First Media (Indonesia)||Channel 322|
|Cable TV (Hong Kong)||Channel 78|
|ABNXcess (Malaysia)||Channel 23|
|AVG (Vietnam)||Channel 17|
|Asianet Digital (India)||Channel 428|
|Digicable (India)||Channel 260|
|Singtel TV (Singapore)||Channel 6 (HD) / 153 (HD)|
|DittoTV (India)||Channel 98|
|DETV (Malaysia)||Channel 122|
|now TV (Hong Kong)||Channel 322|
|YuppTV (Worldwide)||Channel 734|
|FetchTV (Australia)||Channel 186|
|Live Streaming (International)|
|Live Streaming (India)|
The founding team included Rohit Gandhi as editor-in-chief, Mandy Clark, former CBS correspondent, and Mithaq Kazimi, American media executive as Managing Producers respectively. Known journalists included Saad Hammadi, Bangladesh bureau chief and former correspondent for The Guardian, Archith Seshadri, former CNN anchor and Tathagata Bhattacharya, former editor of the CNN web edition.
The current team includes editor in chief Sudhir Chaudhary, associate editor Ramesh Ramachandran, West Asia bureau chief Daniele Pagani, and Network18 former senior editor Palki Sharma Upadhyay. Sidhant Sibal of DD News joined the organization on 1 April 2018. Sumit Chaturvedi, who was earlier with ET NOW and CNBC, looks after the business news content and does morning and evening business shows WALLET. Republic TV's former news anchor Akanksha Swarup joined WION in 2018 becoming one of the channel's leading faces. Associated journalists include Naveen Kapoor, Digvijay Singh Deo, Rabin Sharma, Shastri Ramachandaran, Kartikeya Sharma, and Ananya Das Gupta.
- Prime Time Program: Gravitas is WION's prime time show which bring viewers news and discussions on concurrent issues from India and across the globe.
- Global Leadership Series (GLS): The Global Leadership Series is an interview-based program featuring a selection of heads of state or government.
- WION World Order: WION World Order is a platform for mutual dialogue on foreign policies.
- The Diplomacy Show: Interviews with diplomats.
- WION Sports: Covers global sports
- Top Stories: Top Stories brings breaking news of the hour from India and around the world.
- WION Speed News: A news segment of WION which brings the top stories of the morning from across the globe.
- WION Wallet: Coverage of finance and the economy
- WION Fineprint: An in-depth analysis of International news and developments regarding social and economic issues
- Your Story: Detailed information on the most trending stories of the day from around the globe.
- WION Pitstop: An autoshow covering previews, launches, first-drive/ride reports, comparisons and motorsport action from India and across the globe.
- WION Tech It Out: Tech It Out is a weekly show that explores technology as an everyday concept.
- WION Wings: India's first aviation show on television that is focused everything related to flying, air shows, pilots, airlines and general aviation
- WION MELT: A program that aims to simplify the world of marketing through conversations with leaders from the industry.
- Breakfast Hosted by various anchors (2016–2017)
- Democracy & Dictatorship, hosted by Rohit Gandhi (2016–2017)
- Konversations, hosted by Mithaq Kazimi (2016–2017)
- "Zee Media names its Global English News Channel – 'WION' (World Is One News) | Zee News". zeenews.india.com. Retrieved 21 March 2016.
- "Zee Group To Launch English News Channel, Hires Rohit Gandhi As Editor-In-Chief". huffingtonpost.in. Retrieved 21 March 2016.
- "WION on Periscope: "WION launch"". Periscope.tv. 15 June 2016. Retrieved 17 September 2016.
- "Atlanta's Archith Seshadri debuts as anchor on Zee Media's global English news channel". NRI Pulse. Retrieved 17 September 2016.
- "Zee Media to launch English news broadcast, appoints Rohit Gandhi as editor-in-chief". firstpost.com. Retrieved 21 March 2016.
- "CBS News Hires Digital Journalist Based in Afghanistan". www.adweek.com. Retrieved 3 September 2016.
- "WION Authors". WION. Retrieved 28 June 2018.
- "Saad Hammadi". The Guardian. Retrieved 17 March 2017.
- "CNN International Editor Off to Anchor in India". www.adweek.com. Retrieved 3 September 2016.