"WIN350" was the name given to the 500-900 series (500系900番代) 6-car experimental high-speed Shinkansen train developed in 1992 by the West Japan Railway Company (JR West) in Japan to test technology to be incorporated in next-generation shinkansen trains expected to operate at speeds of 350 km/h (217 mph) from 1994. Initially given the designation "500X", the name "WIN350" stood for "West Japan's Innovation for operation at 350 km/h".
|500-900 series "WIN350"|
End car 500-906 preserved at Hakata Shinkansen Depot, October 2011
|Manufacturer||Hitachi, Kawasaki Heavy Industries|
|Number built||6 vehicles|
|Number in service||None|
|Number preserved||2 vehicles|
|Number scrapped||4 vehicles|
|Line(s) served||Sanyo Shinkansen|
|Car body construction||Aluminium alloy|
|Car length||26,550 mm (87 ft 1 in)|
(end cars), 25,000 mm (82 ft 0 in)
|Width||3,380 mm (11 ft 1 in)|
|Maximum speed||350 km/h (215 mph) (nominal)|
|Traction system||300 kW (400 hp) 3-phase motors|
|Power output||7,200 kW (9,700 hp)|
|Electric system(s)||25 kV AC, 60 Hz|
|Current collection method||Overhead catenary|
|Track gauge||1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in)|
The front-end designs of the two driving vehicles (500-901 and 500-906) were slightly different, with 500-906 featuring a "cockpit" style arrangement. The external livery was purple and light grey, with darker purple lining.
On 6 August 1992, the train recorded a Japanese national speed record of 345.8 km/h on the San'yō Shinkansen. Two days later, on 8 August 1992, the train recorded a Japanese national speed record of 350.4 km/h on the Sanyo Shinkansen between Ogōri (now Shin-Yamaguchi) and Shin-Shimonoseki.
End car 500-901 is preserved outdoors at the RTRI large-scale wind tunnel test facility in Maibara, Shiga. Initially expected to be moved to the Modern Transportation Museum in Osaka, car 500-906 is preserved at Hakata Shinkansen Depot.
- JR全車輛ハンドブック'93 [JR Rolling Stock Handbook 1993]. Japan: Neko Publishing. 1993.
- プロトタイプの世界 - Prototype World. Japan: Kōtsū Shimbunsha. December 2005. pp. 56–59. OCLC 170056962.
- Semmens, Peter (1997). High Speed in Japan: Shinkansen - The World's Busiest High-speed Railway. Sheffield, UK: Platform 5 Publishing. ISBN 1-872524-88-5.
- "500系新幹線電車" [500 series Shinkansen EMU]. Japan Railfan Magazine. Vol. 32 no. 374. Japan: Kōyūsha. June 1992. pp. 18–19.
- "500系新幹線試験電車" [500 series Experimental Shinkansen EMU]. Japan Railfan Magazine. Vol. 32 no. 375. Japan: Koyusha. July 1992. pp. 52–58.
- 新幹線電車データブック2011 [Shinkansen Databook 2011]. Japan: JRR. March 2011. p. 95. ISBN 978-4-330-19811-8.
- 鉄道のテクノロジーVol1：新幹線 [Railway Technology Vol.1: Shinkansen]. Japan: Sanei Mook. April 2009. pp. 122–124. ISBN 978-4-7796-0534-5.