Vyborg railway station
|October Railway terminal|
|Owned by||Russian Railways|
|Line(s)||St.Petersburg — Helsinki|
|Platforms||6 (5 island platforms)|
The first wooden station building was built in 1870. The second station building was built in 1913 but was destroyed in the Continuation War. The current station building was built in the Soviet Union.
The original station building in Vyborg was designed by Finnish architects Eliel Saarinen and Herman Gesellius. The granite station building was built in 1913 by Finnish State Railways, now known as VR Group, but was destroyed as retreating Soviet troops blew it up in the Continuation War in 1941.
The original building bore a close resemblance to Eliel Saarinen's other famous work, the Helsinki Central railway station. In the tradition of a pair of male human figures on each side of the main entrance of the Helsinki Central station, the Vyborg station had a statue of a bear standing on a pedestal on each side of the main entrance.
Virtual model of old Viipuri railway station as it was in Finland 1939 was rendered 2007- 2009. It is possible to see in Virtual Viipuri-project.
The modern station building, built in Soviet times, represents the typical Stalinist style. The station building has ticket sales, a café, a magazine kiosk, a currency exchange office, and deposit boxes.