Coat of arms
|Coordinates: 52°24′42″N 6°37′32″E|
(1 January 2006)
Vriezenveen was a separate municipality until 2001, when it merged with Den Ham. The new municipality was originally named "Vriezenveen", but it was renamed "Twenterand" in 2002.
In the 18th and 19th century the people of Vriezenveen had a lively trade relationship with Saint Petersburg, Russia. The people who traded with Russia were called Rusluie (Russian people) and they established shops at the Nevsky Prospekt.
In 1905 most of the town burnt down. The Jansen & Tilanus textile factory employed a large fraction of the population. It had to shrink in 1958 and was completely closed in 1981.
This year, the town exists 650 years. In September, there will be a ceremony with things the students of the 6th grade think there will be in the future and each school printed a souvenir for the purpose of being buried until the 700th anniversary of Vriezenveen.
- J. Kuyper, Gemeente Atlas van Nederland, 1865-1870, "Vriezenveen". Map of the former municipality, around 1868.
- Sint Petersburg Popov originates from Vriezenveen in Trouw Dutch language
- Bartolomy's photos of early morning Vriezenveen in 2013