Voiced palatal affricate
The voiced palatal affricate is a type of consonantal sound, used in some spoken languages. The symbols in the International Phonetic Alphabet that represent this sound are ⟨ɟ͡ʝ⟩ and ⟨ɟ͜ʝ⟩, and the equivalent X-SAMPA symbol is
J\_j\. The tie bar may be omitted, yielding ⟨ɟʝ⟩ in the IPA and
J\j\ in X-SAMPA.
|Voiced palatal affricate|
|IPA Number||108 (139)|
|Unicode (hex)||U+025F U+0361 U+029D|
source · help
This sound is the non-sibilant equivalent of the voiced alveolo-palatal affricate.
It occurs in such languages as Hungarian and Skolt Sami, among others. The voiced palatal affricate is quite rare; it is mostly absent from Europe as a phoneme (it occurs as an allophone in most Spanish dialects), with the aforementioned Uralic languages and Albanian being exceptions. It usually occurs with its voiceless counterpart, the voiceless palatal affricate.
Features of the voiced palatal affricate:
- Its manner of articulation is affricate, which means it is produced by first stopping the airflow entirely, then allowing air flow through a constricted channel at the place of articulation, causing turbulence. It is not a sibilant.
- Its place of articulation is palatal, which means it is articulated with the middle or back part of the tongue raised to the hard palate.
- Its phonation is voiced, which means the vocal cords vibrate during the articulation.
- It is an oral consonant, which means air is allowed to escape through the mouth only.
- It is a central consonant, which means it is produced by directing the airstream along the center of the tongue, rather than to the sides.
|Asturian||Western dialects||muyyer||[muˈɟ͡ʝeɾ]||'woman'||Alternate evolution of -lj-, -c'l-, pl-, cl- and fl- in the Brañas Vaqueiras area of Western Asturias. May be also realized as [c] or [c͡ç]|
|Hungarian||gyár||[ɟ͡ʝaːr]||'factory'||See Hungarian phonology|
|Norwegian||Central and Western dialects||leggja||[leɟ͡ja]||'lay'||See Norwegian phonology|
|Skolt Sami||vuõˊlǧǧem||[vʲuɘlɟ͡ʝːɛm]||'I leave'|
|Spanish||Castilian||yate||[ˈɟ͡jate̞]||'yacht'||Occurs only in the onset. See Spanish phonology|
- Palatal controversies Péter Siptár(2013)
- "Tinéu. Mapa del conceyu | El Teixu" (in Spanish). Retrieved 2019-11-24.
- Skjekkeland (1997:96–100)
- Martínez-Celdrán, Fernández-Planas & Carrera-Sabaté (2003:258)
- Martínez-Celdrán, Eugenio; Fernández-Planas, Ana Ma.; Carrera-Sabaté, Josefina (2003), "Castilian Spanish", Journal of the International Phonetic Association, 33 (2): 255–259, doi:10.1017/S0025100303001373
- Menéndez García, Manuel (1965), El Cuarto de los Valles (Un habla del occidente astur) (in Spanish), IDEA, pp. 147–148
- Skjekkeland, Martin (1997), Dei norske dialektane: Tradisjonelle særdrag i jamføring med skriftmåla (in Norwegian), Høyskoleforlaget (Norwegian Academic Press)
- List of languages with [ɟʝ] on PHOIBLE