Visual effects supervisor
While it is a creative role, most supervisors possess a strong technical background and are capable of making informed decisions about the most efficient and effective technique to employ to solve the problem at hand. Often a supervisor will work in tandem with a visual effects producer and computer graphics supervisor.
Supervisors can be employed directly by a film production company or work for a visual effects company. Often there are several VFX supervisors on a project, although there is typically a senior VFX supervisor directing their efforts.
Specific responsibilities vary somewhat depending on the nature of the production, however most supervisors:
- Handle a VFX project from conception through to completion
- Manage and direct the technical, artistic, and production personnel
- Possess a knowledge of various visual effects techniques with emphasis on camera set-ups and film knowledge with an eye for composition and camera work.
- Accurately predict timing and associated costs of project
- Collaborate on the bidding and negotiation processes
The Visual Effects Society is a prominent trade organization representing the interests of visual effects professionals.