The Virginia–Wise Cavaliers (also UVA–Wise Cavaliers), nicknamed the "Highland Cavaliers" before 2017, are the athletic teams that represent the University of Virginia's College at Wise, located in Wise, Virginia, in NCAA Division II intercollegiate sports. The Cavaliers compete as members of the South Atlantic Conference for all 13 varsity sports, having joined that league from the Mountain East Conference in 2019. UVA–Wise has also been a past member of the Great Midwest Athletic Conference.
|University||University of Virginia's College at Wise|
|Conference||South Atlantic Conference|
|Athletic director||Kendall Rainey|
|Football stadium||Carl Smith Stadium|
|Basketball arena||David J. Prior Convocation Center|
|Baseball stadium||Burchell Stallard Field|
|Colors||Red and Grey|
|2013–14 to present||NCAA Division II||5|
|2012–13||NAIA & NCAA Division II||1|
|????–?? to 2011–12||NAIA||??|
|2019–20 to present||South Atlantic||1|
|2013–14 to 2018–19||Mountain East||6|
|2012–13||Great Midwest (G-MAC)||1|
|1995–96 to 2012–13||Mid-South||18|
- UVA–Wise had dual membership within the Mid-South of the NAIA and the G-MAC of NCAA Division II (provisional status) during the 2012-13 season.
On April 23, 2012, the college was accepted as a provisional member of the Great Midwest Athletic Conference (G-MAC) and announced it would begin competition as the G-MAC's seventh full member in the 2013-2014 academic year. UVA–Wise also announced it planned to submit the NCAA application prior to June 1, 2012. Once accepted by the NCAA, the college will begin the official transition from NAIA to NCAA and if the requirements are met would become an active NCAA Division II member for the 2015-16 academic year. However, UVA–Wise would play in the G-MAC for only one season; it announced on August 20, 2012 that it would become a charter member of the new Mountain East Conference, a conference made up mostly of former members of the West Virginia Intercollegiate Athletic Conference that ultimately launched in the 2013–14 academic year.
List of teams
- "The University of Virginia's College at Wise to Join South Atlantic Conference in 2019-20" (Press release). South Atlantic Conference. April 13, 2018. Retrieved September 19, 2018.
- Staff (April 23, 2012). "UVa-Wise Granted Provisional Membership into NCAA Division II G-MAC Conference". Hazard, Kentucky: WYMT-TV. Retrieved April 25, 2012.
- Staff (April 24, 2012). "LOCAL COLLEGE: UVA-Wise set to join G-MAC". TriCities.com. Bristol, Virginia: Bristol Herald Courier. Retrieved April 25, 2012.
- "UVa–Wise Accepts Charter Membership in Mountain East Conference". Hazard, Kentucky: WYMT-TV. August 20, 2012. Archived from the original on August 21, 2012. Retrieved August 21, 2012.