|Municipality of Villaba|
Map of Leyte with Villaba highlighted
|Coordinates: 11°13′N 124°24′E|
|Region||Eastern Visayas (Region VIII)|
|District||3rd district of Leyte|
|Barangays||35 (see Barangays)|
|• Type||Sangguniang Bayan|
|• Mayor||Jorge V. Veloso|
|• Vice Mayor||Dennis L. Sy|
|• Congressman||Vicente Sofronio E. Veloso III|
|• Electorate||31,458 voters (2019)|
|• Total||150.31 km2 (58.04 sq mi)|
|• Density||280/km2 (720/sq mi)|
|• Income class||3rd municipal income class|
|• Poverty incidence||33.94% (2015)|
|• Revenue (₱)||105,500,064.20 (2016)|
|Time zone||UTC+8 (PST)|
|IDD : area code||+63 (0)53|
|Climate type||tropical rainforest climate|
Villaba, Leyte was discovered by Boholano traders. These traders landed on the Western Coast and found fertile plants, since then, they built their houses along the river and forest and eventually progressed. Along the river, grow in abundance luxuriant trees called “HINDANG”. Hence the settlers called the river “HAMINDANGON”.
Villaba is politically subdivided into 35 barangays.
- Fatima (Poblacion)
- New Balanac
- Poblacion Norte
- Poblacion Sur
- San Francisco
- San Vicente
- Santa Cruz
Villaba has a variety of educational institutions both public and private.
- A. Tumamak Elementary School
- Abijao Elementary School
- Balite Elementary School
- Bugabuga Elementary School
- Cabungahan Elementary School
- Cagnocot Elementary School
- Cahigan Elementary School
- Calbugos Elementary School
- Campurog E.S.
- Canquiason Elementary School
- Capiñahan Elementary School
- Fisherman's Village Elementary School
- Hibulangan Elementary School
- Hinabuyan CS
- Iligay Elementary School
- Jalas Elementary School
- Jordan Elementary School
- Libagong Elementary School
- New Balanac Elementary School
- Payao Elementary School
- Sambulawan Elementary School
- San Francisco Elementary School
- Silad Elementary School
- Santa Cruz Elementary School
- Sulpa Elementary School
- Tabunoc Elementary School
- Tagbubunga Elementary School
- Tinghub Elementary School
- Villaba South CS
- Cahigan National High School
- Holy Child High School
- Villaba National Comprehensive High School
- Villaba NHS (LNCAST)
- Villaba Vocational High School
- Visayas State University - Villaba Campus
|Population census of Villaba|
|Source: Philippine Statistics Authority|
- "Municipality". Quezon City, Philippines: Department of the Interior and Local Government. Retrieved 31 May 2013.
- "Province: Leyte". PSGC Interactive. Quezon City, Philippines: Philippine Statistics Authority. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- Census of Population (2015). "Region VIII (Eastern Visayas)". Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay. PSA. Retrieved 20 June 2016.
- "PSA releases the 2015 Municipal and City Level Poverty Estimates". Quezon City, Philippines. Retrieved 12 October 2019.
- . Tourism In The Philippines http://www.tourisminthephilippines.com/city/Tacloban/buga-buga-hills/about-villaba-town.html. Retrieved November 13, 2018. Missing or empty
- Census of Population and Housing (2010). "Region VIII (Eastern Visayas)". Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay. NSO. Retrieved 29 June 2016.
- Censuses of Population (1903–2007). "Region VIII (Eastern Visayas)". Table 1. Population Enumerated in Various Censuses by Province/Highly Urbanized City: 1903 to 2007. NSO.
- "Province of Leyte". Municipality Population Data. Local Water Utilities Administration Research Division. Retrieved 17 December 2016.
- Philippine Standard Geographic Code
- Philippine Census Information
- Local Governance Performance Management System