Victoria Street railway station, New South Wales
Victoria Street railway station is a heritage-listed railway station located on the Main Northern line in New South Wales, Australia. It serves the Victoria Street area of East Maitland. It was added to the New South Wales State Heritage Register on 2 April 1999.
Westbound view in August 2006
|Location||Victoria Street, East Maitland|
|Operated by||NSW TrainLink|
|Distance||187.92 km (116.77 mi) from Central|
|Platforms||2 (1 island)|
|Website||Transport for NSW|
|Passengers (2013)||470 (daily) (Sydney Trains, NSW TrainLink)|
Victoria Street, East Maitland
Location within New South Wales
It is in about the same location as the first East Maitland station and marked the temporary terminus of the railway from Newcastle while the bridge over Wallis Creek was built. From 1906 to 1926 it was also an interchange station with the steam tramway line that ran from West to East Maitland.
The present building was built in 1877 and in 1914 the single platform was converted to an island platform and a footbridge added when the line was duplicated. The station footbridge was added along with the island conversion in 1914.
Platforms & services
|1||services to Newcastle|
|2||services to Maitland, Telarah, Dungog, Muswellbrook & Scone|
Hunter Valley Buses operate four routes via Victoria Street station:
Victoria Street station is one of the oldest station buildings surviving in the Newcastle area. The site was the terminus of the line from Newcastle when it opened in 1857 until extension to the present Maitland railway station one year later. It has been adapted to an island platform form for the duplication where most of the stations on the line were rebuilt. Because of its age and as a remnant of the early line it is of high significance. The footbridge supports the group.
Victoria Street railway station was listed on the New South Wales State Heritage Register on 2 April 1999 having satisfied the following criteria.
The place possesses uncommon, rare or endangered aspects of the cultural or natural history of New South Wales.
- Bureau of Transport Statistics. "Train Statistics 2014" (PDF). Transport NSW. Retrieved 13 July 2018.
- "Victoria Street Railway Station group". New South Wales State Heritage Register. Office of Environment and Heritage. H01277. Retrieved 2 June 2018.
- Victoria Street Station NSWrail.net
- Victoria Street Railway Station NSW Environment & Heritage
- "Hunter line timetable". Transport for NSW.
- "Hunter Valley Buses route 181". Transport for NSW.
- "Hunter Valley Buses route 182". Transport for NSW.
- "Hunter Valley Buses route 183". Transport for NSW.
- "Hunter Valley Buses route 184". Transport for NSW.