A miller's son, Johannes, falls in love with the daughter of a wealthy landowner, Victoria. The novel follows them through adolescence, as Johannes struggles with the social hierarchy and becomes a successful author, and Victoria is forced into marrying Otto, a lieutenant, to save the troubled family economy.
Hamsun later named his daughter "Victoria", after the novel.
- Victoria or Viktoriya, a 1917 Russian silent film directed by Olga Preobrazhenskaya
- Victoria, a 1935 German film directed by Carl Hoffmann
- Viktoria, a 1957 West German TV movie directed by Frank Lothar, starring Elisabeth Müller
- Victoria, a 1979 Swedish-German co-production directed by Bo Widerberg
- Victoria or Viktoriya, a 1988 Soviet film directed by Olgerts Dunkers
- Victoria, a 2013 Norwegian film directed by Torun Lian
- Gibbs, Walter (February 27, 2009). "Norwegian Nobel Laureate, Once Shunned, Is Now Celebrated". The New York Times.
- Enright, DJ (February 24, 1972), "Blood and Blossoms", The New York Review of Books.