|1st Governor of Northern Province|
3 July 2008 – 10 October 2008
|Preceded by||Mohan Wijewickrama (as acting)|
|Succeeded by||Dickson Sarathchandra Dela|
|30th Sri Lankan Inspector General of Police|
12 October 2006 – 1 July 2008
|Preceded by||Chandra Fernando|
|Succeeded by||Jayantha Wickramarathne|
Perera joined the Sri Lanka Police Service in 1974 as an Assistant Superintendent of Police. Serving as the most senior Deputy Inspector General of Police he was promoted as the 30th Inspector General Police on 12 October 2006 and retired from service on 3 June 2008. He was succeeded by the senior Deputy Inspector General of Police Jayantha Wickramarathne.
With the division of the North Eastern Province in 2007 Perera was appointed, by President Mahinda Rajapakse, as the first Governor of Northern Province, succeeding acting governor Rear Admiral Mohan Wijewickrema. Perera was the first former head of the police to have been appointed as a Governor to a province.
- "Sri Lanka: Jayantha Wickremaratne the New Inspector General of Police". Asiantribune. Retrieved 5 January 2012.
- "Northern". Sri Lankan Provinces from 1988. World Statesmen.org. Retrieved 5 January 2012.
- "Former IGP Victor Perera the new Governor of the Northern Province". lankamission.org. Retrieved 5 January 2013.
- "Victor Perera, Sri Lanka's new Inspector General of Police". TamilNet. Retrieved 5 January 2012.
- "IGP Victor Perera to retire next month". TamilNet. Retrieved 5 January 2012.
| Sri Lankan Inspector General of Police
(as Acting Governor)
| Governor of Northern Province
Dickson Sarathchandra Dela