Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute
The Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute (VCCRI) is an independent, not-for-profit research facility focused on the prevention and treatment of cardiovascular disease, based in Darlinghurst, New South Wales, Australia. The institute was founded in memory of pioneering cardiac surgeon Dr. Victor Chang .
Life-size bronze statue of Victor Chang by sculptor Linda Klarfeld outside the Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute
|Founder(s)||Dr. Victor Chang |
(founded and named in his honour three years after his fatal death)
|Established||15 February 1994|
|Mission||The relief of pain and suffering, and the promotion of wellbeing, through an understanding of the fundamental mechanisms of cardiovascular biology in health and disease.|
|Executive Director||Professor Robert M. Graham|
|Faculty||University of New South Wales|
Established on 15 February 1994, approximately three years after Dr. Chang's death, and opened by then Prime Minister Paul Keating, the institute has become a world-class research and research training facility.
The VCCRI was established on 15 February 1994 and named the Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute in honour of Dr. Victor Chang, who, on 4 July 1991, was fatally shot. Chang passionately believed in the ability for research to better the lives of many more than surgery ever could, as reflected in the dearth of hearts available for transplantation. Prime Minister Paul Keating opened the Institute and delivered an address.
On 27 February 1995, the Institute was incorporated as an independent research facility with the Hon. Neville Wran as its Chairman.
On 1 November 1995, Diana, Princess of Wales opened the Institute in its premises within the Garvan (now Lowy Packer) Building.
Location and facilities
The VCCRI, located within the purpose-built Lowy Packer Building, is a major partner in the St Vincent's Hospital Research Precinct in Darlinghurst, Sydney. Other partners in the precinct are the Garvan Institute of Medical Research, the St Vincent's Centre for Applied Medical Research, and St Vincent's Hospital itself. The Institute was funded by grants from the Government of Australia and a donation from the Australian businessman and philanthropist Kerry Packer. The Lowy Packer Building was funded by the grants from the Government of Australia and the Government of New South Wales and donations from the Atlantic Philanthropies, the Lowy and Packer families, the National Australia Bank, ANZ Bank, Citigroup, and other donors. The budget for the building was A$80 m.
The VCCRI has state-of-the-art research laboratories and support facilities. The Institute holds itself to the highest standards of excellence in research, research training and efforts to translate each new discovery into practical medical applications.
Structure and organisation
- Cardiac Physiology and Transplantation
- Developmental and Stem Cell Biology
- Molecular Cardiology and Biophysics
- Molecular, Structural and Computational Biology
- Vascular Biology, and
- Innovation Centre.
The Victor Chang Institute is also affiliated with the University of New South Wales, accredited by Australia’s National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) as an independent biomedical research facility; and is a member of the Association of Australian Medical Research Institutes (AAMRI). The institute is also a Research Ministry within the Mary Aikenhead Ministries.
- Matthew Grounds
- "Surgeon Victor Chang remembered". Sydney Morning Herald. 3 July 2011.
- Keating, Paul (15 February 1994). "Address by the Prime Minister, the Hon. P. J. Keating MP, to the Launch of the Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute, Sydney, February 15, 1994" (PDF).
- "2009 Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute Annual Review" (PDF). Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute. 2009.
- "Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute Lowy Packer Building - Architecture Gallery". Australian Institute of Architects.
- "Chang's son continues heart legacy". Sunday Telegraph. 3 July 2011.
- "Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute Lowy Packer Building". Jackson Architecture. 2008.
- "2017 Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute Annual Review" (PDF). Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute. 2017.
- "Prof. Robert M. Graham AO". Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute.
- "Victor Chang Committees". Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute.
- "Prof. Jamie Vanderberg". Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 7 March 2016. Retrieved 30 September 2015.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Prof. Roland Stocker". Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute. Archived from the original on 5 March 2014. Retrieved 18 August 2013.