Viborg municipality is a municipality (Danish, kommune) in Region Midtjylland on the Jutland peninsula in northern Denmark. The municipality covers an area of 1,421.04 km², and has a population of 94,622 (1 April 2014). Søren Pape Poulsen was chosen as mayor again for a second term of office 2014-17, but before the first year of his second term had passed, he accepted an offer to become chairman of his party, and a new mayor had to be chosen among the municipal council members. Its mayor from 3 September 2014 is Torsten Nielsen, also a member of the Conservative People's Party. He is mayor in the rest of the 2014-17 term of office.
The main city and the site of its municipal council is the city of Viborg.
On 1 January 2007 Viborg municipality was, as the result of Kommunalreformen ("The Municipal Reform" of 2007), merged with Bjerringbro, Fjends, Karup, Møldrup, and Tjele municipalities to form an enlarged Viborg municipality.
The municipality is part of Business Region Aarhus and of the East Jutland metropolitan area, which had a total population of 1.378 million in 2016.
Viborg has a twin city in each of the Nordic countries, as well as in other world regions.
- Municipal statistics: NetBorger Kommunefakta, delivered from KMD aka Kommunedata (Municipal Data)
- Municipal mergers and neighbors: Eniro new municipalities map
- Searchable/printable municipal maps: Krak mapsearch(outline visible but doesn't print out!)
- "What is Business Region Aarhus". businessregionaarhus.dk. Retrieved 15 January 2019.
- "Tal og statistik" [Figures and Statistics] (in Danish). Byregion Østjylland. Retrieved 25 April 2016.