Vesthimmerland Municipality or Vesthimmerlands Municipality is a municipality (Danish: kommune) in Denmark's North Jutland Region. It covers an area of 768,08 km² (2013) (www.noegletal.dk) and has a total population of 38,277 (2008). The Municipality borders Jammerbugt Municipality to the south and to the east it borders Rebild and Aalborg Municipality and to the south it borderes Viborg Municipality and to the south-east it borders Mariagerfjord Municipality.
Municipalities of Denmark
|Coordinates: 56.802°N 9.523°E|
|Region||North Jutland Region|
|Current municipality||January 1, 2007|
|• Mayor||Per Bach Laursen|
|• Total||768.08 km2 (296.56 sq mi)|
|• Density||49/km2 (130/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC2 (CEST)|
On 1 January 2007 Vesthimmerland municipality was created as the result of Kommunalreformen ("The Municipal Reform" of 2007), consisting of the former municipalities of Aalestrup, Farsø, Løgstør, and Aars.
Four principal towns
Aars, the municipal seat of Vesthimmerland municipality and the largest town of Vesthimmerland municipality, is located to the east of the three other principal towns. Aars is/was a railway town and was the principal town of Aars Municipality. It has a population of 8,246.
Farsø is a town with a population of 3,299 in Region Nordjylland in Denmark in the Vesthimmerland municipality. It is located west of Aars, south of Løgstør, and north-west of Aalestrup. Until 1 January 2007 Farsø was also a municipality in North Jutland County. The municipality covered an area of 201 km², and had a total population of 7,991.
Løgstør is a town with a population of 4,284 and the former seat of Løgstør municipality. It is located north-west of the other principal towns. The former municipality, including the island of Livø, covered an area of 218 km2 (84 sq mi), and had a total population of 10,270.
Aalestrup is a town in Vesthimmerland municipality with a population of 2,729. It is the furthest south of all the four principal towns. Aalestrup School has 294 students. It was also a municipal seat until 2007.
Municipality's largest towns
|The municipalitys biggest citys|
Mayors of Vesthhimmerland
|2010–2017||Knud Vældgaard Kristensen||Det Konservative Folkeparti|
|2018–present||Per Bach Laursen||Venstre|
The municipality covers an area of 223 km², and had a total population of 13,284 (2005). Its latest mayor was Knud V. Christensen, a member of the Conservative People's Party (Det Konservative Folkeparti) political party.
The municipality covered an area of 201 km², and had a total population of 7,991 (2005). Its last mayor was H. O. A. Kjeldsen, a member of the Venstre (Liberal Party) political party.
The municipality, including the island of Livø, covered an area of 218 km2 (84 sq mi), and had a total population of 10,270 (2005). Its last mayor was Jens Lauritzen, a member of the Venstre (Liberal Party) political party.
The municipality covered an area of 176 km², and had a total population of 7,631 (2005). Its latest mayor was Rigmor Sandborg.
The main town and the site of its municipal council was the town of Aalestrup. The municipality was located on the eastern shores of the area known as Himmerland, a part of the Jutland peninsula; the western border of the municipality was partially defined by the waters of Lovn's Broadening (Lovns Bredning).
Famous people from Vesthimmerland
- Christen Christian Larsen (aka Tordenkalven) (1816–1891), A cricket and vagabond.
- Niels Holck – Dane involved in illegal weapons supply in India.
- Per Pallesen – actor and theater director.
- Kasper Risgård – professional Danish football player
- Gert Bo Jacobsen – Danish professional boxer and former European and world champion.
- Jens Bigum – Danish business leader.
- Andreas Højsleth – professional Counter-Strike: Global Offensive player. Member of Astralis.
- Allan Søgaard Larsen CEO of Falck A / S.
- Christian Mejdahl – former chairman of the parliament.
- H. O. A. Kjeldsen – former president of the Agriculture Council.
- Johan Skjoldborg – author.
- Johannes Sloth – former managing director of Movia Movia Company.
- Johannes V. Jensen – author and Nobel Prize winner.
- Knud Erik Pedersen – author.
- Leif Sondrup – State Administration Director and Chief Executive Officer.
- Ove Glerup – landowner and entrepreneur.
- Søren T. Lyngsø – engineer and business owner.
- Peder Horrebow (1679–1764), astronomer
- Jørgen Christian Jensen (1891–1922), Victoria Cross recipient.
- Christian Mejdahl former chairman of the danish parliament.
- Pernille Vigsø Bagge former member of the danish parliament
- Karsten Lauritzen member of the danish parliament
- Henrik "Mini" Rasmussen former professional football player with 423 matches in the AaB shirt
- Shahin Lauritzen - CEO of Lauritzen Family
- Vesthimmerland municipality's official website (in Danish)
- Danmarks Statistikbank
- Henriksen, Christian. "Nordjyske Andreas tjener millioner på at spille computer". TV2 Nord.
- "Fakta om Vesthimmerlands Kommune". Vesthimmerland.dk.