VentureBeat is an American technology website headquartered in San Francisco, California, United States. It publishes news, analysis, long-form features, interviews, and videos.
Type of site
|Technology news and analysis|
|Created by||Matt Marshall|
The VentureBeat company was founded in 2006 by Matt Marshall, an ex-correspondent for The Mercury News.
In March 2009, VentureBeat signed a partnership agreement with IDG to produce DEMO Conference, a conference for startups to announce their launches and raise funding from venture capitalists and angel investors. In 2012, the partnership with IDG ended.
In 2014 and 2015, the company raised outside investor funding from Silicon Valley venture capitalist firms including CrossLink Capital, Walden Venture Capital, Rally Ventures, Formation 8 and Lightbank.
The VentureBeat web site comprises a series of distinct news "Beats": Big data, Business (general news), Cloud, Deals, Dev, Enterprise, Entrepreneur, Media, Mobile, Marketing, Security, Small Biz, and Social. In addition, the site includes a semi-separate publication, GamesBeat, as one of its major sections. GamesBeat focuses on videogames and the videogame industry.
- Harrison Weber – executive editor, and has previously written for The Next Web and The Huffington Post.
- Dean Takahashi – covers gaming and previously worked for The Wall Street Journal and Los Angeles Times.
- Dylan Tweney – former VentureBeat executive editor and current editor at large.
- Morwenna Marshall – current editor at large.
In September 2009, Matt Marshall took on the role of executive producer for the DEMO conference. Over the years a variety of companies have launched at DEMO including Boingo, TiVo, ETrade, VMware, Palm, Java, Symantec, Salesforce and others. In September 2012, VentureBeat ended its partnership with DEMO.
VentureBeat produces a variety of themed industry events, including MobileBeat, GamesBeat, and GrowthBeat. In addition, it produces several small, annual conclaves of C-level industry executives called Summits.
- "VentureBeat.com Site Overview". Alexa.com. Retrieved August 7, 2017.
- "Company Overview of VentureBeat, Inc". Bloomberg L.P. Retrieved October 30, 2017.
- "VDEMO Gets Desperate: Shipley Out, Marshall In". Retrieved August 2, 2010.
- "Farewell, DEMO. It's been an incredible ride". September 19, 2012. Retrieved May 17, 2013.
- "VentureBeat Ethics Statement". VentureBeat. Retrieved May 17, 2013.
- "About VentureBeat". VentureBeat. Retrieved May 17, 2013.
- Tweney, Dylan (June 9, 2015). "It's time for new adventures". VentureBeat.
- Marshall, Matt. "Farewell, DEMO. It's been an incredible ride". VentureBeat. Retrieved July 16, 2013.
- "VentureBeat events". VentureBeat. Retrieved May 17, 2013.
- "Mobile Summit 2013". VentureBeat. Retrieved May 17, 2013.