Vasyl Serhiyovych Hrytsak (Ukrainian: Василь Сергійович Грицак; born 14 January 1967) was the Head of the Security Service of Ukraine (SBU). He became the SBU's acting head on 18 June 2015, replacing Valentyn Nalyvaichenko. The Verkhovna Rada approved his appointment on 2 July. On 22 May 2019 President Volodymyr Zelensky appointed Ivan Bakanov the first deputy chairman of the SBU. Following this Hrytsak went on vacation, and Bakanov began to perform his duties. Hrytsak never returned to his post in the SBU and Bakanov was officially appointed his successor on 29 August 2019.
|Head of the Security Service of Ukraine|
18 June 2015 – 20 May 2019
|Preceded by||Valentyn Nalyvaichenko|
|Succeeded by||Ivan Bakanov (acting)|
|Head of the Anti-Terrorist Center|
7 July 2014 – 23 June 2015
|Preceded by||Vasyl Krutov|
|Succeeded by||Vitaly Malikov|
Vasyl Serhiyovych Hrytsak
14 January 1967
Bushcha, Dubno Raion, Rivne Oblast, Ukrainian SSR
|Years of service||1990–present|
Order of Merit (1st, 2nd, and 3rd class)
In 2005–2009, Hrytsak served as the head of the SBU's regional departments in Kiev and Kiev Oblast. In 2009–2010, he headed the SBU department "K" (in fight against corruption and organized crime).
He is the father of Oleh Hrytsak, who worked as a prosecutor during Euromaidan.
A native of Bushcha village (Rivne region) Ukraine, General Hrytsak was born on January 14, 1967. In 1992 he graduated from Lesia Ukrainka Lutsk State Pedagogical University with a degree in history. In 1990-2004 he held a wide range of expert and management-level positions with national statehood protection and counterterrorism as his main line of work.
During 2005–2009 General Hrytsak headed SBU Offices in Kyiv city and Kyiv region.
In 2009–2010, Hrytsak assumed the position of SBU Deputy Head and later SBU First Deputy Head. In this capacity he supervised the Main Counter-Corruption and Organized Crime Division, which falls within SBU HQ.
Starting March 12, 2010 he was placed in inactive status.
In July 2014 by the orders of the President of Ukraine, General Vasyl Hrytsak assumed the position of SBU First Deputy Head and Chief of SBU Antiterrorist Center and ever since then he has been actively involved in antiterrorist operations in the East of Ukraine.
On June 2, 2015, General Hrytsak was appointed as the head of the Security Service of Ukraine, with his nomination supported by 340 Ukrainian MPs. Under the Order of the President of Ukraine, General Hrytsak assumed duty as a permanent member of the Ukrainian NSDC.
On 22 May 2019 newly elected President Volodymyr Zelensky appointed Ivan Bakanov Hrytsak's first deputy chairman of the SBU. Following this Hrytsak went on vacation, and Bakanov began to perform his duties. Hrytsak never returned to his post in the SBU and Zelensky officially appointed Bakanov as his successor on 29 August 2019.
He is married, and has a son. This son is Oleh Hrytsak, who worked as a prosecutor during Euromaidan.
- Until 2 July 2015 he was acting
- "Глава СБУ подал в отставку". РИА Новости. 20 May 2019. Retrieved 21 May 2019.
- "Порошенко присвоїв Грицаку звання генерала армії" [Poroshenko awarded to Hrytsak the rank of General of the Army]. Ukrayinska Pravda (in Ukrainian). 26 March 2016. Retrieved 19 January 2019.
- "President introduced Acting Head of the Security Service of Ukraine Hrytsak: We must achieve new social attitude to the Security Service". president.gov.ua. 18 June 2015. Retrieved 19 January 2019.
- "Ukrainian lawmakers appoint new SBU chief". Ukrainian Independent Information Agency. 2 July 2015. Retrieved 19 January 2019.
- Quinn, Allison (22 June 2015). "Poroshenko ally Hrytsak quietly takes over SBU (UPDATE)". Kyiv Post. Retrieved 19 January 2019.
- Sukhov, Oleg (23 June 2015). "Video appears to show security chief's son prosecuting EuroMaidan activists (VIDEO)". Kyiv Post. Retrieved 19 January 2019.
- Savchuk, Maksym (2 July 2015). "М'ясний бізнес родини нового голови СБУ (розслідування)" [Family business of the new head of the SBU] (in Ukrainian). Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty. Retrieved 19 January 2019.
- "Голова Служби безпеки України :: Служба безпеки України". ssu.gov.ua. Retrieved 2019-03-28.
- Указ Президента України № 111/2016 від 25 березня 2016 «Про присвоєння військових звань»(in Ukrainian)
- "Грицак рассказал о сыне в прокуратуре и бизнесе жены". Украинская правда (in Russian). Retrieved 2018-11-06.
| Head of the Security Service of Ukraine
18 June 2015–22 May 2019
until 2 July 2015 as acting