Vanessa O'Hanlon is an Australian television presenter. She is currently a Sydney-based presenter for the Nine Network, anchoring its regional news service for the Australian Capital Territory and southern regions of New South Wales while also occasionally presenting Nine News: Early Edition and reading the news on Weekend Today. O'Hanlon previously presented the weather on ABC Television's national breakfast program ABC News Breakfast from 2008 until 2016.
O'Hanlon was the eldest of five children and grew up in Melton, Victoria. O'Hanlon listed Jana Wendt as a presenter that inspired her during her childhood.
O'Hanlon studied a Bachelor of Arts at Deakin University, majoring in psychology and public relations.
After studying a radio course jointly offered by Swinburne University and the Australian Film, Television and Radio School O'Hanlon took up a position as a drive announcer at Sun 969 in Alice Springs before moving onto another radio station in Shepparton, Victoria. She then became a music director at a radio station in Darwin, Northern Territory.
O'Hanlon then moved back to Melbourne where she became a traffic reporter for the Australian Traffic Network delivering traffic reports for Sunrise, Ten News at Five, 3AW and Fox FM. O'Hanlon also hosted a night radio show on Mix 101.1 called Melbourne After Dark.
ABC News Breakfast
In late 2008, O'Hanlon was employed by the Australian Broadcasting Corporation to be the weather presenter on its fledgling national breakfast program ABC News Breakfast, produced from Melbourne.
O'Hanlon remained in the role for eight years and announced her departure from ABC News Breakfast on 2 November 2016.
In early November, the Nine Network announced that O'Hanlon and experienced newsreaders Jo Hall and Samantha Heathwood were the three presenters they had chosen to anchor its new regional news service, that it planned to launch in 2017 throughout the Australian Capital Territory, southern New South Wales, Victoria and Queensland.
O'Hanlon said she was drawn to the project as the new service reached into regions that hadn't had local news for a considerable amount of time.
- New Channel Nine newsreader Vanessa O'Hanlon, Bree Winchester, The Canberra Times, 4 February 2017. Retrieved 22 March 2017.
- About Vanessa, Vanessa O'Hanlon website. Accessed 22 March 2017.
- And now for the news: It's a woman's world, Wendy Tuohy, The Daily Telegraph, 4 February 2017. Retrieved 22 March 2017.
- Meet the new team for Breakfast, David Knox, TV Tonight, 3 October 2008. Retrieved 22 March 2017.
- Vanessa O'Hanlon to leave ABC News Breakfast, David Knox, TV Tonight, 2 November 2016. Retrieved 22 March 2017.
- Weather presenter leaves ABC for new Nine project, Kristopher Crane, The Daily Telegraph, 18 November 2017. Retrieved 22 March 2017.
- Three new faces of Nine's regional news revealed, Kate McIlwain, Illawarra Mercury, 8 November 2016. Retrieved 22 March 2017.
- Vanessa O'Hanlon revealed as Nine Canberra's news bulletin host, The Sydney Morning Herald, 8 November 2016. Retrieved 22 March 2017.
- Ten questions: Vanessa O'Hanlon, Stephen Brook, Business Review, The Australian, 20 February 2017. Retrieved 22 March 2017