The Vanderbilt Theatre was a New York City Broadway theatre, designed by architect Eugene De Rosa for producer Lyle Andrews. It opened in 1918, located at 148 West 48th Street. The theatre was demolished in 1954.
|Address||148 West 48th Street|
Manhattan, New York City
|Current use||Replaced by parking facility|
|Opened||March 7, 1918|
|Years active||1918 – 1939 |
1953 – 1954
|Architect||Eugene De Rosa|
The 780-seat theatre hosted the long-running musical Irene from 1919 to 1921. In the mid-1920s, several Rodgers and Hart musicals played at the theatre. Andrews lost the theatre during the Great Depression, and in 1931 it was briefly renamed the Tobis to show German films. The experiment was a failure, and the theatre returned to legitimate use. No new shows played at the theatre from 1939 until 1953, as it was used as a radio studio, first by NBC, then by ABC, until 1952. Irving Maidman purchased the theatre and began to produce new shows in 1953, but after only a year, the theatre was demolished - replaced by a 6-story parking garage.
- "Vanderbilt Theatre (Built: 1918 Demolished: 1954 Closed: 1954" Internet Broadway Database (Retrieved on February 22, 2008)
- Information from the World-theatres website