Vanda Godsell (17 November 1922 – 11 April 1990) was an English actress. Hal Erickson writes in Allmovie, "Vanda Godsell specialised in playing disheveled housewives, busybody landladies and blowsy domestics." She appeared as Mrs Weaver in This Sporting Life (1963), Mrs Pitt in Bitter Harvest (1965), Mrs Goodge in The Wrong Box (1967)
Godsell in This Sporting Life
|Died||2 April 1990 67) (aged|
She was born near Bristol into the well known Godsell family, best known for its brewery based in Stroud. Her father was an officer in the Navy and served in the Battle of Jutland whilst her mother, Muriel, was the sister of novelist and actress Naomi Jacob. Godsell's sister Felicia was also an actress but her other sister was an editor in the publishing world.
She began acting when she joined the Bristol Repertoire aged 14. Her career lasted for fifty years, making her film debut in 1953 in Flannelfoot starring Ronald Howard. She also appeared in Hell Is a City, A Shot in the Dark, The Earth Dies Screaming, The Wrong Box, Bitter Harvest and The Pink Panther Strikes Again. Many of these films were directed or produced by Blake Edwards. Vanda portrayed Mrs Anne Weaver in This Sporting Life. On television, she appeared in shows like The Saint, Coronation Street, Minder, Dixon of Dock Green, Bless This House, In Loving Memory and Taxi!. She appeared as Blanche DuBois in a critically acclaimed version of A Streetcar Named Desire in the West End.
- Flannelfoot (1953) as Angela Neilson
- The Large Rope (1953) as Amy Jordan
- The Brain Machine (1955) as Mae Smith
- Timeslip (1955) as Stenographer (uncredited)
- Hour of Decision (1957) as Eileen Chadwick
- Innocent Sinners (1958) - Bertha Mason as Lovejoy's Mother
- Horrors of the Black Museum (1959) as Miss Ashton
- No Safety Ahead (1959) (uncredited)
- In the Wake of a Stranger (1959) as Hetty McCabe
- Hell Is a City (1960) as Lucky Lusk
- Sword of Sherwood Forest (1960) as The Prioress
- Payroll (1961) as Doll
- Konga (1961) as Bob's Mother
- Shadow of the Cat (1961) as Louise Venable
- The Frightened City (1961) as Sophie Peters
- Night Without Pity (1961) as Tart
- The Pot Carriers (1962) as Mrs Red Band
- Candidate for Murder (1962) as Betty Conlon
- Waltz of the Toreadors (1962) as Mrs. Emma Bulstrode, Dress Shop Proprietor
- Term of Trial (1962) as Mrs Thompson (uncredited)
- This Sporting Life (1963) as Mrs Anne Weaver
- The Wrong Arm of the Law (1963) as Annette
- 80,000 Suspects (1963) as Mrs Agnes Davis
- Bitter Harvest (1963) as Mrs Pitt
- The Victors (1963) as Nurse (uncredited)
- A Shot in the Dark (1964) as Madame LaFarge
- Clash by Night (1964) as Mrs Grey-Simmons
- The Earth Dies Screaming (1964) as Violet Courtland
- Dateline Diamonds (1966) as Mrs Jenkins
- The Wrong Box (1966) as Mrs Goodge
- Who Killed the Cat? (1966) as Eleanor Trellington
- A Touch of the Other (1970) as Angela
- The Pink Panther Strikes Again (1976) as Mrs Leverlilly
- "Vanda Godsell movies, photos, movie reviews, filmography, and biography". AllMovie. Retrieved 23 March 2014.
- Cotter, Robert Michael "Bobb" (10 January 2014). The Women of Hammer Horror: A Biographical Dictionary and Filmography. ISBN 9781476602011.
- "Vanda Godsell | BFI | BFI". Explore.bfi.org.uk. Retrieved 23 March 2014.