Van Lier is a surname first found in the Netherlands. Spelling variations of this family name include: Lier, Liere, Lierr, Lierre, Liers, Lieres, Lierrs, Lierres, de Lier, van Lier and many more.
Some of the first settlers in the New World of this family name or some of its variants were:
- Jan Evertsz van Lier, who arrived in New Netherland in 1664;
Notable people with the surname include:
- Adeline van Lier (born 1956), Dutch television and radio presenter
- Anita van Lier (born 1954), Dutch cricketer
- Josephine van Lier (born 1968), Dutch cellist
- Norm Van Lier (1947–2009), American basketball player and broadcaster