Völkermarkt (Slovene: Velikovec) is a town of about 11,000 inhabitants in the Austrian state of Carinthia, the administrative capital of Völkermarkt District. It is located within the Drava valley east of the Carinthian capital Klagenfurt, north of the Karawanken mountain range.
Coat of arms
Location within Austria
|Coordinates: 46°40′N 14°38′E|
|• Mayor||Valentin Blaschitz (SPÖ)|
|• Total||137.33 km2 (53.02 sq mi)|
|Elevation||462 m (1,516 ft)|
|• Density||80/km2 (210/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
The municipality of Völkermarkt comprises 26 Katastralgemeinden (Slovene names in brackets):
The area, once part of the ancient Noricum province, in the 7th century was resettled by Slavic tribes, who lived within the Principality of Carantania. The migration concentrated around the former Roman settlement of Juenna (near present-day Globasnitz in an area later called Podjuna in Slovene or Jauntal in German. Up to today, significant parts of the population refer to themselves as Carinthian Slovenes.
The descendants of Count Siegfried I of Sponheim, who about 1035 had come to the Duchy of Carinthia as a follower of Emperor Conrad II, had a trading post erected at the site about 1090, where a church was built soon afterwards at the behest of the archbishop of Salzburg. In 1217 Duke Bernhard von Spanheim gave orders to build a bridge across the Drava River and had the settlement rebuilt in 1231. Völkermarkt was granted town privileges in the 13th century already and developed quickly as an important centre for trade in iron from the surrounding ore mines.
In the Carinthian Plebiscite of 1920, a majority of the population voted for adhesion to the Republic of Austria. On 18 September 1979, the Yugoslav Department of State Security firebombed the Völkermarkt town hall, severely injuring three men, including two of the agents, and causing heavy damages.
According to the 2001 census 2.6% of the population were Carinthian Slovenes.
|Village||Number of people 1991||Percent of Slovenes 1991||Percent of Slovenes 1951|
|St.Peter a.W./Šentpeter n.V||297||10.1%||49.4%|
|Berg ob Attendorf/Rute n.V.||48||0%||27.5%|
- Markus Hansiz (1683-1766), Jesuit and historian
- Johann Joseph Peyritsch (1835-1889), physicician and botanist
- Julius Ringel (1889-1967), general of the Gebirgstruppe (Mountain troops) of the Wehrmacht
- Stephanie Graf (born 1973), athlete
- Elmar Lichtenegger (born 1974), hurdler
- Magdalena Lobnig (born 1990), rower
- "Dauersiedlungsraum der Gemeinden Politischen Bezirke und Bundesländer - Gebietsstand 1.1.2018". Statistics Austria. Retrieved 10 March 2019.
- "Einwohnerzahl 1.1.2018 nach Gemeinden mit Status, Gebietsstand 1.1.2018". Statistics Austria. Retrieved 9 March 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Völkermarkt.|