|Written by||Ajay |
|Directed by||Ravindra Gautam, Nandita Mehra, Santosh Bhatt|
|Country of origin||India|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||1,549|
|Producer(s)||Kalyan Guha |
|Cinematography||Santosh Suryavanshi |
|Production company(s)||Film Farm India|
|Original network||Colors TV|
|Original release||1 December 2008 –|
16 January 2015
The show has three generation leaps which starred Sparsh Khanchandani and Ishita Panchal as Child Protagonist, then the show took 10 years leap and starred Tina Dutta, Rashami Desai, Nandish Sandhu, Rohit Khurana and Gaurav Chopra in lead roles, then the show took another 18 year leap and starred Tina Dutta, Sreejita De, Saurabh Raj Jain and Gaurav Bajaj in lead roles.
It is one of the longest television series by episode count. It is the third longest-running Indian television series of Colors TV. The series was dubbed into Tamil as Sindhu Bhairavi on Raj TV and in Malayalam as Valsalyam on Surya TV. The series was re-made in Tamil as Oviya on Colors Tamil. The series was also dubbed into English as True Love on Glow Tv.
Uttaran follows two friends from different socio-economic backgrounds - Ichha Bharti (Sparsh Khanchandani/Tina Datta), a maid-servant's daughter, and Tapasya Thakur (Ishita Panchal/Rashami Desai), the child of a wealthy landlord. Ichha is kind, caring and helpful, while Tapasya is spoilt, selfish and jealous.
The story, set in Mumbai, starts with young girls Ichha Bharti (Sparsh Khanchandani) and Tapasya Thakur (Ishita Panchal) becoming best friends as Ichha is the daughter of Tapasya's family's maidservant, Damini (Vaishali Thakkar). The two share a sister-like bond despite their different classes until Tapasya's maternal grand-aunt/surrogate grandmother Sumitra Devi aka Nani (Pratima Kazmi) arrives and influences Tapasya to see Ichha differently. Tapasya becomes jealous and cold towards Ichha when her mother, Divya Thakur (Pragati Mehra), and her father, Jogi Thakur (Ayub Khan), treat Ichha with the same love and care. It is revealed that Jogi is (unintentionally) responsible for the death of Rajendra Bharti (Ichha's father) which is the reason he cares for her as his own child.
10-13 years later
The story revolves around the grown-up Tapasya (Rashmi Desai) and Ichha (Tina Datta). A rich man named Veer Singh Bundela (Nandish Sandhu) is introduced to Tapasya as a prospective groom but she rejects him finding him to be too simple. Meanwhile, Veer falls in love with Ichha's simplicity. Tapasya starts feeling insecure. Veer and Ichcha convince their respective families and decide to get married but on the wedding night, Tapasya first tries to seduce Veer and then cuts herself and threatens suicide to Ichha and Damini if she can't have Veer. Nani coerces Ichha to let Tapasya marry Veer. Tapasya pretends to be Ichha during the wedding and marries Veer. Ichha, instead, marries Vansh Singh Bundela (Rohit Khurana) Veer's elder brother, who suffers from drug addiction.
Tapasya's hatred towards Iccha is nourished by her jealousy and she makes numerous unsuccessful attempts of getting rid of her, even by getting her killed. Vansh finds out Ichha's past with Veer and Tapasya manipulates him in to thinking he is responsible for Ichha's suffering. As a result, he kills himself.
Ichha and Tapasya's mother-in-law, Gunvanti Singh-Bundela (Beena Banerjee), blames Ichcha for Vansh's death and for causing problems between Veer and Tapasya. Eventually, Tapasya's true nature is exposed by Veer and she is asked to leave the house. Ichha starts living the simple, disciplined life of a widow in the Bundela House. Veer's feelings for her return as he sees her suffer and gradually Ichha also realises her feelings for him. they marry secretly in Vrindavan. The Bundelas, after some friction, accept them.
Tapasya meets Raghuvendra Pratap Rathore (Gaurav Chopra) the CEO of Rathore Industries and gets pregnant with his child but he separates from Tapasya due to her spoilt and selfish nature without knowing about her pregnancy. Tapasya returns to her in-laws' house, stating that she is pregnant with Veer's child, Ichha forgives Tapasya, but Veer does not trust her. Ichha figures that Tapasya is not carrying Veer's child, and tells this to Veer and his family, unfortunately, no one, included Veer himself believes her.
Later, Veer comes to know that the child is Rathore's and Tapasya is banished from the Bundela Mansion again. Tapasya gives birth to a daughter whom she unintentionally abandons. The daughter is raised by Veer and Ichha, who name her Mukta. Finally, Ichha and Veer's children Yuvraj and Meethi are born.
Ichha saves Veer from a cruel man named Avinash Chatterjee who wants to take revenge from them for winning the custodial rights of his nephew Kanha and his property. Veer was Ichha's only hope of avoiding going to prison; unfortunately, as a result of him almost being killed by Avinash, he has lost his memory regarding Ichha killing Avinash in self-defence, as well as the fact Ichha, as a result, she is sent to prison for 18, but she is released after serving 14 years in prison; due to good behaviour.
18 years later
Meethi Singh-Bundela (Tina Datta) Ichha and Veer's daughter, who physically resembles her mother, and Mukta Rathore (Sreejita De) Tapasya and Raghuvendra's daughter, become best friends; just like their mothers. Ichha returns and reunites with her family but is hated by Yuvraj (Saurabh Raj Jain) who has grown up to become an arrogant, selfish, insolent, spoiled brat as a result of his bad upbringing by his paternal grandmother, who believes that Ichha had abandoned him as an infant, as well as by Meethi who grew up believing Ichha was dead. Damini, having become well off, raised Kanha (Chaitanya Choudhury) who is now a successful CEO and happily married to a woman named Surbhi (Pranitaa Pandit). Meethi and Yuvraj were brought up by Gunvanti and Damini individually, as Gunvanti brainwashed Yuvraj against Ichha.
Later, Sumitra reveals to Meethi that Ichha is in fact still alive, but she also lies about Ichha being responsible for ruining Mukta's mother, Tapasya's life since childhood, initially, Meethi is in denial, but during a college field trip, after she runs into a saint who not only confirms that her mother in fact alive, but she was in prison for murder, Meethi not only believes Sumitra's lies regarding her mother being a horrible person, but she also develops an negative opinion towards Ichha, believing her to be a murderer.
Meethi later masquerades as "Ichha" in order to get her adopted brother, Kanha to revealed the truth, regarding Ichha's incarceration, although she knows what the saint told her about Ichha is true, she still wanted to hear it from her adopted brother, but she disguised herself as a mother, knowing that he would not reveal the truth to her, Kanha (unknowingly) reveals to Meethi that her mother was in prison for murder, but fails to mention that Ichha only killed only killed Avinash in self-defence to save her father, Veer's life.
After Meethi confronts Ichha, she cruelly rejects Ichha as her mother (having the same level of hatred that her brother, Yuvraj has for their mother) believing her to be a murderer, when Damini and Kanha try to convince her to forgive her mother for being absent from her life for the last was 18 years, they also state the reason why Ichha was in prison, unfortunately, not only does Meethi (outright) refuse to do so, she also does not believe a word they say (regarding Ichha's imprisonment) not only due to the fact that they have lied to her all her life about her mother being dead, but she also saw Kanha destroying documents (which he is unaware of) regarding her mother being incarcerated for murder, as he was trying to prevent Meethi from learning the truth about Ichha; as a result she has lost complete trust and respect, for her maternal grandmother and adopted brother respectively.
Every time Damini and Kanha try (yet fail) to convince Meethi to forgive her mother for being absent from her life, but also try to convince her that Ichha only killed Avinash in self-defence to save her adopted brother, Kanha's life (when he was still a child) she becomes extremely hostile towards them every single time. Damini's attempt to repair Ichha and Meethi's relationship completely backfire, as Meethi becomes further distant from Ichha and grows to hate her mother even more, as Damini's efforts ultimately proved to be in vain.
Meanwhile, Mukta and Meethi's friendship faces challenges as both of them fall for their college friend, Aman Verma (Gaurav S Bajaj). Aman eventually chooses Mukta but they never get together as Mukta starts feeling insecure of Aman and Meethi's friendship and breaks up with him. A distraught Aman is comforted by Meethi. After being brainwashed by Sumitra, Mukta starts feeling insecure of Meethi and Ichha, and turns against them. She starts getting close to Yuvraj and takes Meethi to a party where she spikes her drink and calls the cops stating that it is a rave party. In an intoxicated state, Meethi confesses her feelings to a shocked Aman. The cops arrest Meethi and Aman, while Mukta and Yuvraj leave.
Later, Yuvraj tries to rape Mukta but Ichha saves her and sends Yuvraj to jail, after watch, Mukta realises that she misunderstood Ichha and Meethi, and decides to help Ichha reunite with Veer. In the process she almost marries Veer's paternal uncle but Tapasya intervenes at the last minute and marries him instead to save Mukta.
Veer (now Vikas Bhalla) still has not yet regain his memory after the incident with Avinash, and lives with his mother Gunvanti and his new wife, Amla (Sonica Handa) who married him for money. Eventually, Tapasya (who has genuinely reformed; after living in the United States for 18 years) manages to restore Veer's memory and, Veer tells Meethi and Yuvraj the circumstances under which Ichha went to prison, leading them to accept Ichcha as their mother.
Veer and Ichcha are finally reunited. Ichha arranges Meethi's marriage with Vishnu Kashyap (Mrunal Jain), an orphan she has been looking after in prison. It is revealed that Vishnu is actually Akash Chatterjee, Avinash's son, who has married Meethi to avenge his father's death. Meanwhile, Ichha and Tapasya almost sacrifice their lives to save Mukta from Veer's paternal uncle, who shoots Tapasya.
However, Ichha is fatally hit by a truck but donates her heart to Tapasya before passing away. The real Vishnu Kashyap (Ajay Chaudhary) a humble blue-collar worker, enters Mukta and Meethi's lives to save Meethi and expose Akash and his family, including Surbhi who is revealed to be Akash's maternal cousin and also part of the plot. Akash's vengeful mother, Ekadashi Chatterjee (Krutika Desai Khan) who is Avinash's wife, orders Akash to kill Meethi to avenge his fathers's death. However, Akash is unable to do so, and falls in love with her. After Vishnu exposes the Chatterjees, a shattered Meethi, who had also fallen in love with Akash, leaves their house. Surbhi, who was thrown out of the house by Kanha, repents for her mistakes and tries to reunite Meethi and Akash. Surbhi, pregnant with her and Kanha's child, then dies during childbirth.
A shattered Kanha forgives Surbhi and reunites with her on her deathbed, promising to raise their son, later named Ajitesh, as a good and honest person. Meethi and Vishnu are about to get married but break the wedding after Meethi realizes that Vishnu and Mukta love each other. Mukta and Vishnu get married and have a son, Manav Kashyap. Meethi and Akash finally reunite and Meethi is accepted by the Chatterjees.
Yuvraj (Bharat Chawda) having undergone a plastic surgery and presenting himself as "Yuvaan Singh-Bundela", returns as Mukta's new boss to take revenge. He eventually kidnaps Mukta and threatens to kill her if she doesn't have a one night stand with him. While saving her, a pregnant Meethi falls and loses her child. She visits Yuvraj in jail and announces him he is dead to her. Meethi is banished by Ekadashi for the miscarriage which has left her infertile. She leaves for Srinagar.
Caught up in a terrorist attack in Srinagar, Meethi falls into a river and is transported by the current across the border to Gilgit in Pakistan. There, Meethi is rescued by Ashfaq (Sahel Phull), a simple farmer who falls in love with her but it is later revealed that his elder brother, Asghar (Krip Suri), was responsible for the attack. Aashfaq helps Meethi escape back to India and bids her a tearful farewell. Finally, Akash and Meethi are united. Meethi adopts Akash's illegitimate daughter, Rani, from his first girlfriend, Nandini (Shriya Jha), who was forced into prostitution. Nandini saves Akash from his old enemy by murdering him and is sent to prison. Meethi and Akash adopt this enemy's daughter, Tamanna, but Rani hates Tamanna and refuses to accept her as her sister.
Sumitra (now having realised her past mistakes and changed for the better) and Damini are afraid that Tapasya and Ichha's story of love-hate friendship might repeat but eventually manage to convince the girls to reconcile by telling them their story. The series ends with Sumitra and Damini reflecting on the everlasting friendship of Ichha and Tapasya.
- Sparsh Khanchandani as Young Ichcha Bharti (2008-2009)
- Ishita Panchal as Young Tapasya Thakur (2008-2009)
- Tina Datta as Ichha Bharti Singh-Bundela, Damini's daughter, Jogi and Divya's surrogate daughter, Tapasya's best friend, Vansh's widow, Veer's wife and Yuvraj and Meethi's mother (2009-2013), (dead; hit by a truck)
- Rashami Desai as Tapasya "Tappu" Thakur Singh-Bundela Rathore, Jogi and Divya's daughter, Ichha's best friend, Veer's ex-wife, Raghuvendra's wife, Mukta's mother and Manav's grandmother.(2009-2014)
- Nandish Sandhu/Vikas Bhalla as Veer Singh-Bundela (2009-2012) (2012-2013)
- Rohit Khurana as Vansh Singh-Bundela, Umed and Gunvanti's son, Veer's brother, Ichha's first husband, Yuvraj and Meethi's uncle (2010) (dead; committed suicide)
- Rocky, Ruby's fiancé and Vansh's look-alike (dead; accidentally killed by Jogi in self-defence; after attending to rape Ichha) (2011)
- Gaurav Chopra as Raghuvendra Pratap Rathore, Tapasya's husband, Mukta's father and Manav's grandfather.(2010-2014)
- Tina Datta as Meethi Bharti/Meethi Singh-Bundela/Meethi Kashyap/Meethi Chatterjee, Veer and Ichha's daughter, Umed, Gunvanti and Damini's granddaughter, Mukta's best friend, Vishnu's ex-wife, Akash's wife and Rani and Tamanna's adopted mother (2012-2015)
- Sreejita De as Mukta "Mukku" Rathore, Tapasya and Raguvendra's daughter, Vishnu's wife and Manav's mother.(2012-2015)
- Saurabh Raj Jain/Bharat Chawda as Yuvraj "Yuvi" Singh-Bundela, Veer and Ichha's son, Meethi's brother, Umed, Gunvanti and Damini's grandson
- Gaurav S Bajaj as Aman Verma, Mukta's ex-boyfriend and Meethi's best friend/former love interest (2012)
- Mrunal Jain as Akash Chatterjee, Avinash and Ekadashi's, Kanha and Surbhi's maternal cousin, Meethi's husband (2012-2015)
- Ajay Chaudhary as Vishnu Kashyap, Mukta's husband and Manav 's father (2012-2015)
- Ayub Khan as Jogi Thakur, Divya's husband, Tapasya's father, Ichha's surrogate father and Mukta's grandfather (2008-2014)
- Pragati Mehra/Pyumori Mehta as Divya Thakur, Jogi's wife, Tapasya's mother, Ichha's surrogate mother and Mukta's grandmother (2008-2014) (2014)
- Pratima Kazmi as Sumitra Devi/Nani, Pushkar's mother, Divya's aunt and Tapasya's grand-aunt/surrogate grandmother (2008-2015)
- Vaishali Thakkar as Damini Bharti, a member of the Thakur family's staff, Ichha's mother, Vansh and Veer's mother-in-law respectively and, Yuvraj and Meethi's grandmother (2008-2015)
- Akanksha Awasthi as Rohini Pushkar, Pushkar's wife (2008-2013)
- Arun Singh Sharma as Pushkar, Sumitra's son, Divya's cousin and Tapasya's uncle (2008-2013)
- Shamim Sheikh as Baldev Singh-Bundela (2009-2013) (dead; killed by Tej)
- Akhil Mishra as Umed Singh-Bundela, Baldev's son, Gunvanti's husband, Vansh and Veer's father, Tapasya's ex-father-in-law, Ichha's father-in-law and, Yuvraj and Meethi's grandfather (2009-2013)
- Beena Banerjee as Gunvanti Singh-Bundela, Umed's wife, Vansh and Veer's mother, Baldev's daughter-in-law, Tapasya's ex-mother-in-law, Ichha's mother-in-law and Yuvraj and Meethi's grandmother (2009-2013)
- Monalika Bhonsle as Chanda Devi, Gunvanti's niece (2009-2013)
- Pawan Mahendru as Kasa, a member of the Singh-Bundela family's staff (2009-2012)
- Saurabh Raj Jain/Bharat Chawda as Yuvraj "Yuvi" Singh-Bundela, Veer and Ichha's son, Meethi's brother, Umed, Gunvanti and Damini's grandson, (2011-2012) (2012-2013)
- Sunil Sinha/Kiran Karmarkar as Tej Singh-Bundela, Baldev's son, Umed's half-brother, Vansh and Veer's uncle, Yuvraj and Meethi's grand-uncle (2009-2011) (2012-2013)
- Chaitanya Choudhury as Kanha Chatterjee/Kanha Singh-Bundela (2012-2014)
- Gaurav S Bajaj as Aman Verma, Mukta's ex-boyfriend and Meethi's best friend/former love interest (2012)
- Pranitaa Pandit as Surbhi Chatterjee, Kanha's wife, Akash's maternal cousin and Ajitesh's mother (dead; dies during childbirth) (2012-2014)
- Krutika Desai Khan as Ekadashi Chatterjee, Avinash's wife, Akash's mother (2012-2015)
- Varun Toorkey as Sankrant Chatterjee (2013-2014)
- Aarti Singh as Kajri Nirbhay Yadav (2013-2014)
- Vividha Kirti as Ambika Chatterjee (2013-2015)
- Sonica Handa as Amla Singh-Bundela, Veer's third wife/ex-wife (2012-2013)
- Rajesh Khera as Maharani (2014)
- Tiku Talsania as Col Ret. Malhotra (2014)
- Krip Suri as Asgar (2014)
- Gaurav Vasudev as Babar (2014)
- Sahel Phull as Aashfaq (2014)
- Anchal Sabharwal as Fida (2014)
- Shriya Jha as Chameli (2014)
- Rishina Kandhari as Malvika (2014)
- Madhura Naik as Nilofer (2014)
- Mansi Sharma as Saba (2014)
- Samiksha Bhatnagar as Zubieda (2014)
- Rakesh Pandey as Ansari Sahab (2014)
- Farida Dadi as Anjum Nani (2008-2011)
- Nikhil Arya as Inspector Suryakant Tarte
- Sharhaan Singh as Siddarth Verma/Sid
- Aastha Chaudhary as Madhura (2011)
- Vikas Sethi as Avinash Mattoo/Avinash Chatterjee, Ekadashi's husband, Akash's father, Kanha's maternal uncle (2011-2012)
- Sharad Kelkar as Satyaveer (2011)
- Shikha Singh as Kuki (2011)
- Priya Marathe as Ruby, Rocky's fiancée (2011)
- Harsha Khandeparkar as Sanchi (2011)
- Arun Bali as Godman (2014)
- In Nepal (Nepali Language) it began airing on DH Ramailo Tv as "Jadeuri" (Worn Out) at 9:30 PM NST.
- In Azerbaijan (Azerbaijani Language) it began airing on Dalğa TV
- In Pakistan (Hindi language) it began airing on Hum TV with same title in 2010.
- In Kazakhstan (Kazakh Language) it began airing on Astana TV under the title Қыз ғұмыры in 2013 and ended in 2016.
- In Armenia (Armenian Language) it began airing on Shant TV under the title Merjvace (Մերժվածը) in 2016.
- In Indonesia (Indonesian Language) it began airing on ANTV on September 21, 2015. The series ended on September 18, 2016.
- In Sri Lanka, Tamil Language with Sinhala subtitles. In 2014, it began airing on Nethra TV under the title Sindhu Bhairavi (සින්දු භෛරවී).
- In Lithuania (Lithuanian Language), it airs on LNK under the title "Dvi širdys" (English: Two Hearts) in 2017.
- In Serbia, at PRVA TV (Hindi language, Serbian subtitles) under the title "Odbačena", meaning in English "Discarded" in 2012 and ended in 2015.
- In Bosnia and Herzegovina, at OBN TV (Hindi language, Serbian subtitles) under the title "Odbačena", meaning in English "Discarded" in 2012 and ended in 2015.
- In Romania (Hindi language, Romanian subtitles) it began airing on National TV under the title "Dragoste și Ură", meaning in English "Love and Hate". It started on 11 September 2015 and is currently on air.
- In South Africa, it began airing on Glow TV (DSTV 167, OVHD 108 and StarSat 570) under the title "True Love". It began in September 2017.
- In Turkey (Turkish Language) it began airing Kanal7(1080p60HD TURKSAT)Movie named "Kördüğüm". It is currently on air.
- In Macedonia, it aired on Alsat-M with Albanian subtitles from 2012 till 12 March 2018, where it aired the final episode in a one-hour special episode.
- In Bulgaria, it aired on Nova Television (Bulgaria) under the title "Моята карма" which translates as "My Karma"
- "Uttaran episodes". Uttaran. 14 November 2014. Retrieved 15 November 2014.
- "Uttaran to end on January 16". Times of India. 1 January 2015. Retrieved 30 January 2018.
- "Uttaran actor Sahel Phull to star opposite actress Nia Sharma". ABP News. 20 February 2018. Retrieved 28 February 2018.
- "Tina Dutta hosts a 'Uttaran' reunion at her place". Times of India. 29 June 2016. Retrieved 28 February 2018.
- "Tina Datta Goes Bold for a Calendar Shoot, Poses with a Nude Model". India.com. 14 December 2017. Retrieved 9 March 2018.
- "Pratigya and Uttaran in a TRP tussle". Times of India. 21 September 2011. Retrieved 28 February 2018.
- "Tina Dutta breaks down on last day of 'Uttaran'". Times of India. 9 January 2015. Retrieved 28 February 2018.
- "Odbačena krenula na Astana TV". Astana.kz. Retrieved 7 January 2016.
- "Նոյեմբերի առաջին տասնօրյակում Հայաստանում ամենաբարձր դիտելիությունն ունեցել է "Շանթ" հեռուստաընկերությունը". National.am. 14 November 2016. Retrieved 27 November 2016.