Upminster Tithe Barn Museum of Nostalgia
|Location||Hall Lane, Upminster|
|Public transit access|
It is owned by Havering London Borough Council and run in partnership with the Hornchurch and District Historical Society. The museum holds around 14,500 artifacts of domestic and agricultural use. As of July 2006, it is open at selected weekends only from 10.30 a.m. to 4.30 p.m. from April to October.
The museum opened in 1976. The thatched barn in which the museum is located was built in 1450 by the nearby priory (dependent on Waltham Abbey). Although commonly known as the Tithe Barn, the building was never used for the collection of tithes and a grange barn might be a more accurate designation (Upminster's real tithe barn adjoined the Rectory in what is now Gridiron Place). Upminster station is the nearest National Rail and London Underground station. The Upminster Tithe Barn Museum is served by London Buses route 248.