An umbrella organization is an association of (often related, industry-specific) institutions, who work together formally to coordinate activities or pool resources. In business, political, or other environments, one group, the umbrella organization, provides resources and often an identity to the smaller organizations. Sometimes in this kind of arrangement, the umbrella organization is to some degree responsible for the groups under its care.
- AFL–CIO and other national trade union centers
- Department of Public Safety
- European Music Council
- European Federation for Welding, Joining and Cutting (EWF)
- Federation of Poles in Great Britain
- Federation of Student Islamic Societies
- Independent Sector
- National Retail Federation
- National Wrestling Alliance
- Open Source Geospatial Foundation
- Software in the Public Interest
- Ulster Defence Association
- National Federation of Coffee Growers of Colombia
- Umbrella Council
- The former KGB
- UK BIM Alliance
- Transport for London
- Inc., US Legal. "Umbrella Organization Law and Legal Definition | USLegal, Inc". definitions.uslegal.com. Retrieved 5 February 2018.
- https://www.theguardian.com/media/2008/aug/08/pressandpublishing.thetimes?gusrc=rss&feed=networkfront Guardian article on Giles Coren's Article in The Times
- Solutions, WebCider Business. "buildingSMART, United Kingdom and Ireland". www.ukbimalliance.org.
The dictionary definition of umbrella organization at Wiktionary