Ulrich "Uli" Stein (born 23 October 1954 in Hamburg) is a former German football player. He was a goalkeeper and between 1978 and 1997, made 512 appearances in the German Bundesliga. He began his career in 1978 with Arminia Bielefeld. After two years, he moved to Hamburger SV where he played from 1980 to 1987. From 1987 to 1994 he played for Eintracht Frankfurt, but in 1994 he returned to Hamburger SV. One year later, he transferred to Arminia Bielefeld again. He retired during the 1996–97 season.
Uli Stein, September 2009
|Full name||Ulrich Stein|
|Date of birth||23 October 1954|
|Place of birth||Hamburg, West Germany|
|Height||1.86 m (6 ft 1 in)|
|2000||VfL 1945 Pinneberg||1||(0)|
|2003||VfB Fichte Bielefeld||3||(0)|
|2000–2001||TuS Celle FC|
|2007–2008||Nigeria (goalkeeper coach)|
|2009–2014||Azerbaijan (goalkeeper coach)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only|
He won the DFB-Pokal (German cup) in 1987 with Hamburger SV and won two German Bundesliga League titles, in 1982 and 1983. The highlight of his career was winning the European Cup (UEFA Champions League) in 1983, with Hamburger SV. He also went on to win the DFB-Pokal with Eintracht Frankfurt in 1988.
He represented the West German national team 6 times between 1983 and 1986. He was a member of the West German squad defeated by Argentina in the final of the World Cup 1986 in Mexico. His international career came to an end when he called West German coach, Franz Beckenbauer a Suppenkasper, meaning laughing stock.
In the DFB-Pokal in the 1986–87 season, in a tie between Hamburger SV and FC Augsburg in the Rosenaustadion, he was given the red card and as he left the pitch, he showed his middle finger to Augsburg's supporters. A more serious incident occurred in 1987 when he punched Jürgen Wegmann of Bayern Munich. Because of this incident, he was fired by Hamburger SV.
He then joined Eintracht Frankfurt, where he played until 1994, when he was fired again. During this period he became one of the most popular goalkeepers ever to have played for the club.
- "Stein, Ulrich" (in German). kicker.de. Retrieved 28 October 2014.
- "Uli Stein" (in German). fussballdaten.de. Retrieved 25 January 2010.
- Arnhold, Matthias (19 February 2015). "Uli Stein - Matches and Goals in Bundesliga". Rec.Sport.Soccer Statistics Foundation. Retrieved 25 February 2015.
- Arnhold, Matthias (19 February 2015). "Ulrich "Uli" Stein - International Appearances". Rec.Sport.Soccer Statistics Foundation. Retrieved 25 February 2015.
- "Uli Stein" (in German). focus.de. 27 October 2008. Retrieved 25 January 2010.
- "Mir ist die Hand ausgerutscht" [I slapped him] (in German). spiegel.de. 1 August 2006. Retrieved 25 January 2010.