Ukrayinska Pravda (Ukrainian: Українська правда, literally Ukrainian Truth) is a popular Ukrainian online newspaper founded by Georgiy R. Gongadze on 16 April 2000 (the day of the Ukrainian constitutional referendum). Published mainly in Ukrainian with selected articles published in or translated to Russian and English, the newspaper is tailored for a general readership with emphasis on the hot issues of the politics of Ukraine. The Ukrainian government has at times reportedly exerted pressure on the publication to restrict access to information.
Ukrayinska Pravda of March 12, 2014
Type of site
|Created by||Georgiy Gongadze|
|Editor||Sevğil Musayeva-Borovyk (since 2014)|
|Launched||April 16, 2000|
|Current status||News-in media|
Along with Hromadske TV and Center UA (Center for United Action), Ukrayinska Pravda is part of the Kyiv MediaHub.
Initiatives and achievements
The newspaper was often first to investigate and publish the material on corruption or unethical conduct of, or related to, Ukrainian politicians from all political camps. In December 2002, Ukrayinska Pravda was refused a press accreditation by the (then) General Prosecutor of Ukraine Svyatoslav Piskun (an offence against the Criminal Code of Ukraine).
Staff and contributors of the Ukrayinska Pravda have pioneered many legal and research techniques aimed at advancing freedom of information in Ukraine, particularly those concerning the public spending, public procurement and offshore tax evasion. Staff journalists routinely participate in non-partisan public actions promoting democracy and press freedom in the country.
Offspring Web sites of the Ukrayinska Pravda project
Ukrayinska Pravda is also the umbrella site for the following more recent sister Web sites:
- Economichna Pravda (literally "economic truth") – economy and business news and publications
- Табло ID – celebrity illustrated news site, paying significant attention to the public life of Ukrainian politicians and statesmen
- Champion.com.ua – sports news site
- Ukrayinska Pravda.Kyiv – local news and articles on Kiev city
- Ukrayinska Pravda.Zhyttia (literally "Life") – social ezine
- Istorychna Pravda – non-news history magazine
- blog-post sections:
Editorial copyright disclaimers collectively describe these sites as the "Ukrayinska Pravda Internet Holding", not specifying the legal nature of the holding.
In 2017 Ukrayinska Pravda was among the ten most cited sources in the Ukrainian Wikipedia. Currently it is included in the top 50 most visited websites in Ukraine.
- "Pravda.com.ua Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2019-09-24.
- Beheaded: The Killing of a Journalist by J.V. Koshiw, Artemia Press, 2002, ISBN 978-0-9543764-0-6 (page 63)
- "Українська Гельсінська спілка з прав людини". helsinki.org.ua.
- Kramer, Andrew E. (20 July 2016). "Pavel Sheremet, Journalist in Ukraine, Is Killed in Car Bombing". nytimes.com. The New York Times. Retrieved 20 July 2016.
- JOURNALISTS BOYCOTT PROSECUTOR GENERAL'S OFFICE, Ukrayinska Pravda (December 5, 2002)
- Правила використання матеріалів сайтів Інтернет-холдингу "Українська правда", Часті запитання(in Ukrainian)
- Lewoniewski, Włodzimierz; Węcel, Krzysztof; Abramowicz, Witold (2017-09-23). "Analysis of References Across Wikipedia Languages". Communications in Computer and Information Science. 756: 561–573. doi:10.1007/978-3-319-67642-5_47. Retrieved 2019-09-24.
- Top sites in Ukraine - Alexa Rank
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ukrayinska Pravda.|