Type of site
|Registration||Yes, using Ubuntu One|
As of December 2013, The Ubuntu Forums has 1,880,658 registered members and more than 2,000,670 threads. The Ubuntu Forums currently runs on the forum software vBulletin.
The Ubuntu Forums were created by Ryan Troy in October 2004. The forums became a popular resource for Ubuntu and were deemed the Official Ubuntu Forums in November 2004. The forums hosting continued to be paid for by Ryan and the occasional donations of forum community members until March 2006, when Canonical offered to host the forums on its own servers. In June 2007, the forums' domain name, license, and assets were all transferred to Canonical, which now has sole ownership.
The Ubuntu Forums are governed by a moderation team made up of volunteers, often referred to as The Forum Staff. The Forum Staff have three ranks: Administrators, Super Moderators and Moderators. The Administrators serve on the Forum Council.
- "Statistics from Alexa". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 11 Apr 2014.
- "Web Forums". Ubuntu. Retrieved 29 March 2012.
- "Why the Ubuntu Forums use VBulletin". Ubuntu Forums. Retrieved 7 Feb 2013.
- "Notice of security breach on Ubuntu Forums site". Canonical. Retrieved 16 Dec 2013.
- Silber, Jane. "Notice of security breach on Ubuntu Forums". Ubuntu Insights.
- About Ubuntu Forums
- "Ryan Troy". O'Reilly. Retrieved 29 March 2012.
- Mako Hill, Benjamin; Burger, Corey; Helmke, Matthew. "A Brief History of The Ubuntu Forums". informIT. Retrieved 29 March 2012.
- "The Community Cafe". Ubuntu Forums. Retrieved 30 March 2012.
- Forum Staff
- "Forum Council". Ubuntu. Retrieved 29 March 2012.